Chapter 20

I sit at the edge of the stage waiting for the masses to finish filing into the cavern. The gathering was supposed to of started an hour ago but so many gave come to see me that Plutarch made the decision to postpone the start. I'm sat on a small chair while the production crew bustle around me, getting everything ready. Peeta stands across from me with his arms folded, his mind distracted on the task in hand. To rebuild morale and get the rebellion back on track. Since we got up this morning it's been nothing but craziness, rushing around, packing a few clothes together with Rue's stuff. Only this morning did Peeta drop the latest bombshell to hit me. That I'll never be able to return to 12 until the war is over. "It's just not safe anymore" he said. And so we left our home this morning knowing we'll never return there again until Wolfe is defeated. I never got the chance to say farewell to the townsfolk who love us so much and I just hope that they all live through this.

"You okay Kat?"

"Oh yeah, I'm fine. I was just thinking about 12 that's all" I say slightly startled from my daydream. Peeta crouches down in front of me and takes my hand.

"They'll be fine Kat and I promise we'll be back there as soon as we can" he says forcing a smile.

"I hope so" I reply while looking at the stage in trepidation. I can hear the crowd getting excited now and for the first time I'm starting to feel a little nervous. Peeta picks up on my uneasiness.

"Don't worry about the crowd Kat, you'll be fine and believe me, half the battle is just letting them see you alive"

Just before I go out Effie helps me with my hair and some final touches to my Mockingjay suit. Plutarch comes over and talks about what I should say and what he wants me to cover regarding the war and our forces, but I know exactly what I'm planning on saying to the country.

I stand next to Peeta, ready to follow him out when he gently takes my hand, gives me a gentle kiss on the cheek and then nods for me to go on first. I start to protest, Peeta's the president and he should address the country first but he just pulls my hood up over my head and nods once again at the stage. I take a deep breath and walk out using all my strength to look powerful and confident, I can't show how weak I am, I must remain strong!

The crowd grows silent as I wander out to the microphone at the centre of the stage, no doubt people are unconvinced that it's me until I lower my hood. I reach up with my good arm and pull back my hood and look around at the thousands of people looking on open mouthed at my appearance. This makes me understand that these people were genuinely convinced that I was dead, that Wolfe had indeed beaten me. I glance round to see Peeta stood behind me with the Mockingjay squad lined up across the stage behind him. I didn't expect to see them but it's their clothing that surprises me more. Every member now wears a uniform similar in design and style to my Mockingjay suit. No doubt Plutarch has decided to seize on the fact that my squad has been tagged with the Mockingjay name. If that's what they're gonna be called why not make them look the part I bet he thought. They're already celebrities around District 13 thanks to the train Propo so I guess he decided to build on it. As I watch, each of them salutes the crowd and when look back I see every single one of the crowd saluting back. The silence is shocking and I'm brought almost to tears with the tension of the moment. I salute them and look closely at the faces closest to the stage, children, men, women. Still open mouthed, others with tears in their eyes. I look back to Peeta.

"I told you to expect something different, to these people you're some sort of messiah Kat. Get used to it" he whispers in my ear before he steps back, giving the stage to me.

I take a deep breath and begin...

"The story's you heard about me are untrue. Yes, Wolfe did try to kill me and yes, I was injured in the attack. But I stand before you today as your friend, a mother, daughter and wife. You and I are the same, just normal people wanting to be free, to do what we want to and not be controlled as Wolfe wants"