Chapter 6

"Have you finished yet, we're nearly out of time" says Effie as Flavius makes some last minute changes to my hair.

"I'm nearly done, let me just pull down these bangs of hair around her face, there, all done. The Mockingjay is back" says Flavius.

Effie puts a hand on my shoulder and gently turns me to face the mirror. What I see is the girl from the rebellion, the Mockingjay. Gone is the young mother who craves a normal life for her family and friends. There are some changes to the suit though. Beetee has added a black hooded cloak that ties around the neck and extends to the knees. Plutarch says that this is to do with the cold weather but I knew by the look on Beetee's face that it has some other hidden purpose.

Both Peeta and I have been at the district 13 sound stage since dawn getting prepped and dressed for our joint announcement to the masses for our "new army of panem". Each day more refugees arrive either on foot or rescued by the airforce on dropships or hovercraft. The plan is for my new squad to inspire these people to join the fight and become a new army to fight back against Wolfe and his militants. This could be the turning point in the war for us as there are many filled with rage and anger who will gladly sign up, but there's also those who are happy to sit back and do nothing. These are the ones I need to convince to fight.

I look across the room to see Peeta having a few finishing touches done to his makeup and suit. As usual his attire is impeccable. A light blue suit with a matching blue shirt, as is his trademark there's no tie with his top two shirt buttons undone as he always likes to be slightly informal.
Effie leads me over to him and Plutarch.
"Okay, to begin with Peeta will be going on stage alone to deliver a speech to the crowd to outline his plans. I'm expecting a good reception from them but there will be a few that'll be unconvinced. That's when Peeta will call you forward Katniss, most of these people have only seen the latest propo with Rue and have no idea you're even here so I'm hoping your gonna shock a few people". says Plutarch

He then leads us out of the room and over to the backstage area.
"Okay Peeta, good luck" says Plutarch

Peeta gives me a light kiss then climbs the steps to the stage. Plutarch leads me over to a TV monitor to watch and we see Peeta walk out onto the stage, the crowd hushes down in anticipation of his speech.

"Friends and fellow citizens of Panem, I welcome you to district 13, you and your families are safe here.
Today, I talk to you not as the President of Panem, but as a simple baker, husband and father. I too have lost loved ones during these troubled times but we must try to look forward to our future. A future free from slavery and injustice, to be free to live and work as we see fit, and most of all to be happy. Safe in the knowledge that our children will never be reaped for the entertainment of others.

The only way we can achieve this is to fight as one! If you were to join us we can stop Wolfe and drive back his army and take back what is yours!

There's some applause from the crowd but nothing overly inspiring. Plutarch turns to me and pulls my hood over my head.
"That's your cue Mockingjay, go get em!"

I sling my bow over my shoulder and walk out on to the stage from behind Peeta and make my way to his side. I look out across the many thousands inside the cavern and start to feel a little apprehensive. Peeta senses my closeness and takes my hand.

"If you want convincing I give you the true leader of the rebellion, the Mockingjay!"

I reach up with my free hand and pull back my hood. The crowd goes wild and starts chanting my name, Katniss, Katniss, Katniss!
Peeta turns to me and shouts over the noise, "you're gonna have to say something Kat!"
I nod and hold up my hand to silence the crowd. I know exactly how I want to play this, I've learnt so much watching Peeta on TV when I was back in 12. I start off as the quiet, innocent young girl from District 12.
Friends of Panem, you know me as the Mockingjay, the leader of the rebellion. But deep down I'm the same as you, I want to go home......to lead a normal life with my family and friends. But I know this will never be possible until Wolfe and his Mutt army are gone. I too have lost loved ones over the years, my father, my sister. But today I stand before you as a young wife and mother, ready to fight not only in the memory of those who have already given so much to the cause, but for the safety of our children and the future of Panem.