Chapter 32

I stagger across the room and plop myself down on the edge of our bed before all strength in my legs disappears. Peeta has dropped to his knees beside the cot with Rue's blanket clutched tight it to his chest sobbing quietly. The one weakness that Peeta and I have is Rue, for a long time now we had almost given our lives away to the rebellion, to this war. But, this was something completely unexpected, for Wolfe to attack us, our family.

I sink my face into my hands and start to cry, why has he done this, is it just to punish me and Peeta or is it to hold Rue as a hostage of some sort, to control us, to make us join Wolfe and his wretched uprising.
I jump back from my sobbing at the the sound of the phone ringing downstairs but neither of us rush to answer it, we're both lost in grief and pain. It's only after what seems like ages, which must of been a few minutes that I register that it's still ringing, whoever it is must be persistent?

I walk back down the stairs almost in a trance, my breath coming in gasps as I try to get my sobbing under control.

I pick up the phone and hold it to my ear, I can't form words just yet, my throat feels dry like sand and I feel nauseous with shock.

"Hello Katniss, is that you?" I hear Odin Wolfe say from the other end.
My hands shake, my body trembles in shock and as my strength leaves me I collapse against the wall and slowly slide down until I'm a crumpled mess on the floor.

"Katniss, it's me Odin. Just let me know it's you" he says slowly and calmly.

"W....what do you want?" I manage to croak out.

"Katniss listen to me....very carefully. Yes, I have taken Rue but trust me when I say she won't be harmed as long as you do as I say. She's being taken care of by your friends Gale and Haymitch, she's quite safe"

"But why did you take her?" I say a little more calmly. I don't know whether I can trust Wolfe but it calms me knowing that, or at least hoping that Gale and Haymitch are caring for my little girl.

"I have my reasons, more will come to light later but this is what you're going to do, call for your drop ship and come here to the Capitol with Casper. When you arrive I'll hand Rue back to you, I promise"

"Is this all just to do with getting Casper back, I could just get him released if that's what you want, just don't hurt my baby, I beg of you" I say as the tears start to fall once again.

"Katniss......Katniss, calm down. I promise by this time tomorrow she'll be free and unharmed, if you carry out my instructions and do what I ask everything will be fine"

"Okay, when?"

"Tomorrow, first light in the Capitol plaza, come alone, just you, your bow and Mockingjay suit, Casper and the pilot, no one else, understand?"

"Okay" I say quietly.

There's a click as the line goes dead.

*

That night passes by incredibly slowly and neither Peeta or I slept. Peeta's worried about Rue but now I know he's also worrying about me, about what's going to happen. As for me I couldn't really care, if giving myself up to Wolfe gets Rue home then that's just fine. I just hope he stands by his word.

Plutarch agreed to release Casper the moment I explained what had happened, once again I could hear the sorrow in his voice, that once again we'd been victimised in the name of freedom, our family torn apart by this twisted manipulative man and his thirst for power.

Peeta and I sit on our love seat in our lounge waiting silently, I'm already dressed in the Mockingjay suit, my bow waits propped up against our front door, my hands fidgeting with a damp handkerchief, moist with tears. I'm so nervous with worry it's unbelievable.