Chapter 29

Getting out of 13 and into the woods proved much harder than we thought. The trouble was getting out without being spotted by one of our friends. If we were caught then the plan would be over before it even began. My idea of heading out in our military uniforms wasn't such a great idea as we started getting too much attention and I was starting to get frustrated with all the delays. Fortunately we hadn't ran into any of our friends, it was just people passing by in the corridors who kept stopping us to chat.
It was "What are you doing Katniss, why are you dressed like that Peeta?" sort of questions. Peeta made some excuse about a propo shoot which I'm surprised we got away with considering we were both unarmed.

We eventually made it up in the elevator, out into the training ground and then on into the surrounding woods. The only people you find up there these days are families grieving for those lost in the fire bombings. The whole training area is still charred black, with the trees bordering it dead and burnt. A few people looked in our direction, not because we were going into the woods but more than likely because of what we were wearing. As we headed deeper in and away from the complex I feel my spirits lift, it's good to get away from that place, even with all the changes that have been made in the years since the rebellion it still makes me feel claustrophobic. I like to be out in the open where I can breath fresh air and feel the openness around me.
As we walk on I feel Peeta slip his hand in mine, breaking me away from my thoughts.
"Hey beautiful, you okay?" he says smiling at me.

"Yeah, I feel sad because of leaving Rue but I'm kinda happy to be back in the woods, I never realised how much I missed them, I haven't been among the trees since I got shot by Thread back in 12"

"Yep, but you're here now, with me, together" he says giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

" I know" I say pulling him to a stop so I can can reach up on tip toes to kiss him gently.

We walk on chatting about nothing really, about our life in 12, what Rue will want to be when she grows up, and what we'll do in the future. It's all a bit of a dream though as we both know that our lives are about to be taken from us and others will be taking control, others like Odin Wolfe.
It's not that long before I stop and check the sky through the branches, the first few stars are beginning to break through the dusk, we've been walking for hours!

"Peeta, don't you think we should of found them by now?"

Peeta frowns at me "Yeah you're right, maybe we missed them somewhere?"

"I don't think so"

I shrug my shoulders, take his hand and carry on walking, "we'll just have to keep going I guess"

We carry on until it's too dark to continue, we fill Peeta's water bottle in a stream and I add an iodine tablet to purify it.

"We need to stop for the night, it's too dark"

"But where" we didn't bring anything with us. We should of found the mutt army hours ago" says Peeta

"I know, I don't understand it either, maybe they got held up somewhere"

We decide to climb a large tree with a wide 'V' in the branches, it's big enough for the two of us to huddle together and keep warm for the night. We take turns to keep watch but apart from the usual sounds of the forest nothing happens. It's first light when I wake and look at my husband who's still sleeping soundly. Although we shared our body heat last night I still feel cold, I shake Peeta awake.

"Hey, time to wake up" I say in my softest sing song voice.

He sighs "where are we Kat, I'm cold" he says sleepily as he snuggles into my shoulder, his strong arms squeezing me tighter.