Chapter 24

"Ah, there she is!" says Wolfe while clapping his hands together in obvious glee. I can see he's in an even better mood than normal, no doubt capturing Gale is a massive fillip for him.

"Hello Odin, I see you've got another one of my friends for company" I say trying to sound confident as I sit on the end of the conference table. I can't let Wolfe see just how broken I am by this latest turn of events, I must try to remain strong!

"Yes indeed, Gale's looking forward to his little stay with me here in the mansion, isn't that right Gale?"

Gale's jaw hardens in a defiant gesture of anger and silence but then one of his guards strikes him hard across his head with the butt of his pistol. Gale staggers slightly but Haymitch grabs him by the arm to steady him.

"Answer the question" says the guard quietly.

"Yes Odin, I'm looking forward to my stay" he says quietly while rubbing the back of his head with his hand.

"Don't worry Katniss, I guarantee you'll be here soon to join him. My army is closing in on district 13 and this pointless war will soon be over and then we'll have law and order across Panem, the games will return and everyone will be safe. Well, except for the tributes that is" he says chuckling to himself.

"Thats enough!" says Plutarch as he strides forward to the console and cuts the line to Wolfe. The screen goes blank but no one questions his actions as it's just too much to see both Gale and Haymitch captured and in the Capitol. I replay the image of my friend on screen, still dressed in his squad suit stood alongside Haymitch. I finally break down and cry, losing Haymitch was tough to take but to lose Gale too pushes me over the edge. Peeta rushes across the room and holds me in his arms and I start to sob uncontrollably. All evening I'd silently hoped that Gale was okay and would be picked up and returned to us but no, the worst had to happen. The whole room is completely silent, only the sound of my sobbing can be heard. I feel Peeta lift me to my feet then lead me by the hand away from the room. Once outside in the corridor he once again holds me tight trying to calm me down.

"Kat, listen to me, we'll try to get him back I promise"

"But we tried to save Haymitch and he's still not here with us" I say as I pull away from Peeta's chest and look into his eyes, my tears still running down my cheeks.

Peeta reaches up and wipes away my tears with his thumb and tries to smile at me.

"They're still alive Kat, that's the good thing. We can still save them" he leans forward and kisses me gently and I close my eyes at his touch, at his words. Once again he's calmed me.

"Come on, we'd better get back to our apartment and tell Megan the news" he says taking my hand and leading me toward the elevator.

When I walk through the door and see Megan sat there reading a book blissfully unaware of what's going on my heart breaks again. I can't do this.

"Hey guys, everything okay?" She asks frowning at my tear stained face.

Peeta crouches down in front of Megan and takes her hand.

"I've got some bad news Megan, about Gale" he says quietly.

"What about Gale, is he okay, where is he" she asks with tears brimming in her eyes. I sit on the couch across from her as I start to well up again.

"He's okay Megan, he's alive, its just that Wolfe has captured him. He's in the Capitol"

"What, no!" she wails as her head drops into her hands and she starts sobbing.

I rush forward and sit next to her, putting my arm around her shoulder as I start crying too.

"I never got the chance to tell him" she says between sobs.