F O U R

Calix Radcliff's POV

"Are you Mr Radcliff?" A petite woman asks, looking up at me through her glasses after checking a name on her tablet. I nod, and she checks her tablet once more and nods. "Miss Vanderburg will be with you in a minute, you can wait in her office."

Scarlett Vanderburg

Someone who I hadn't had the pleasure of meeting but had heard all about, the woman had been adopted by Meredith Vanderburg and had chosen to follow in her footsteps, he had proved over and over again that she wasn't using her mother's connections rather was the best up-and-coming lawyers in New York had ever seen. Some described her as cruel and others as compassionate, but there was one thing that no matter what they thought of her never varied, everyone that had met her commented on her intelligence. After all, she was the youngest person to pass the bar exam at eighteen, and she did it on her first try, a feat that not many people many years older than her could do. She was the youngest junior partner in the firm and was quickly working herself up to being a senior partner. I knew exactly who I wanted to represent me when I wanted to build a lawsuit, and it was the woman whose office I was currently waiting in.

She wasn't yet here, I was sitting alone in the massive office which couldn't be more different from my own, whereas mine was all blacks, greys, and silver. It was warm and welcoming with beige and cream, even though it was welcoming it still was clearly luxurious and very well taken care of.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting." I hear a voice say from behind me. Spinning around in my chair, I met with the most gorgeous person I had ever met in my life. White hair falls around her face all the way to her waist, the prettiest silver eyes I had ever taken me in,, and suddenly I feel like I should have dressed up more. She was a lot shorter than me, even in her heels. She was dressed to perfection, a grey pantsuit with a black turtleneck underneath and black and gold jewellery. I school my features when she finally meets my eyes.

I finally managed to get out. "It's no problem, I just got here."

She smiles softly, highlighting dimples in each cheek and I find myself wanting to make her smile more. I watch her move around her desk, picking up a stack of files which I'm guessing were mine. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr Radcliff. I have heard some great things about you."

She's heard about me? The thought makes my heart rate quicken just a bit.

What the hell was wrong with me? I haven't given a woman a second glance since I was eighteen, before my father passed and left a massive burden of a company on me. Since then, I have been what classifies as a workaholic, pouring all my days and nuts into not letting my father's company sink to the ground.

But why now was I wanting to impress this woman, to let her have a great impression of me. I know the media describes me as heartless and cruel, but now I am wanting this woman to see me as the opposite.