N I N E T E E N

Scarlett Vanderburg's POV

"Stop stressing, angel." Calix soothed. "You are going to do great."

"You don't know that."

"I know you are one of the best lawyers in the world, I know how hard you work and how admired you are by everyone around you. And I know how hard you have the world."

I was invited to attend a business awards event tonight. I had been nominated to win an award for being one of the best up-and-coming lawyers of the decade. This was a massive deal. If I won my credibility as a young lawyer would shoot even higher than it is, and it would help push forward my taking over Vanderburg Co. from Meredith.

She was ready to retire, I have seen it in her, especially in the last few years. She has raised it from the ground up, she poured all her blood sweat and tears even after her husband and co-founder passed away. She wants to live out the second half of her life doing all the things she never had time to do before.

I need to prove I am the best candidate for the job.

"I'm nervous," I mutter. There were a lot of very important people here tonight so even if I didn't win the chances of me making great connections were high. Calix knows what he's saying won't impact me right now so he grabs my hand and just squeezes it, that small gesture doing so much for my nerves. "Thank you for coming with me tonight."

I thought I might have scared him off after having dinner at my parents' house but no, Calix was there for me. He held me when I was upset and talked through all my emotions with me. He was just always there and I appreciated it immensely.

"I will go anywhere you want, angel. All you have to do is ask."

"Have you always been such a smooth talker Mr Radcliff or is it just for me?"

"Only for you, my heart has always been yours, even before I met you."

There he goes again, using that sweet talking and making my cheeks heat up like an inferno. I try to control my blush before we are torn apart by the paparazzi waiting for us.

"Have I told you how beautiful you look tonight?" Once again my face flushed, I scoot closer to him in the car and hide my face in the crook of his neck.

"A couple of times."

"Well, that isn't enough."

Ladies and Gentlemen Calix Theodore Radcliff.