T W E N T Y - F O U R

Scarlett Vanderburg's POV

"What are you making?"

I don't know what kind of energy Calix was running on but he was up and being productive while the rest of us were making the best of not having any morning commitments and were sleeping in.

"Breakfast." He was cooking up eggs and the toaster was on. There was also something in the oven.

"Can I help?"

Cal pauses and studies me. He then walks over to me and easily lifts me to sit on the counter where I had a view of everything but wasn't in the way.

"How about you sit there and rest for a bit while I finish, I'm almost done."

"Okay, then I'll clear up after breakfast." I declare, there was no way he was doing everything.

"Sure Angel." his tone showed me he didn't want to clean up but he just agreed with me to satisfy me. My eyes narrow on him. If he thought he was winning this he was sorely mistaken, I was a lawyer and a great one at that. "I actually had something I wanted to ask you?"

"Yes?" When I looked at Cal he wouldn't meet my eye, instead, he was seemingly fixated on the breakfast he was making.

"I know we have to go back to the city soon, back to real life and all that but I was wondering while we are here if you'd let me take you out tomorrow, for the day?"

I had never seen Calix Radcliff nervous. I had seen him happy, angry, sad and almost every other emotion in the few months I had known him but nervousness wasn't normally one of the emotions he showed. It was kind of an honour, he cared enough about my opinion to be nervous about my reaction.

"Are you asking me out, Radcliff?" I breathe out.

"If that's what you would like, then yes Scarlett I want to take you on a date."

This wasn't meant to happen, how was I meant to go back to New York and pretend this didn't happen? Eyes were going to be on us as soon as we returned home, I couldn't be in a relationship with my client, and that would reflect badly on both Calix and me. But I didn't have in me to say no, I couldn't.

"Will we be able to go back for another few weeks, we have like six weeks before we're able to try a relationship, Cal."

"The way I see it Scarlett is I've been yours from the moment I walked into your office all those months ago, I don't know what you did but you've had me hooked from that day onwards. It will be exciting to go back and pretend I don't feel something for you but all good things are worth the wait."

I studied him, Calix's skin was an even richer tan colour from the days we have spent on the beach, and his dark eyes studied me as I studied him right back.

"Okay," I whisper softer, only his ears could pick up my words.

"Okay?" he asked, confirming what I was answering.