T W E N T Y - O N E

Scarlett Vanderburg's POV

I smile as yet another text comes through from Vanya, it had been three days since our reunion and I couldn't be happier. For once in my life, I think I was truly happy. I had spent the night catching up with them and the whole of the next day, and since we had parted ways I had not stopped texting them unless one of us had work or we were busy.

"Do you have a secret lover?" The absurdity of Silas's statement had me looking up, I raised an eyebrow at him, totally lost and confused as to where it came from. I was sitting in his office at Radcliff Inc while Calix was in another meeting. I needed to run through some last-minute details for the case because we were both leaving for our trip in a couple of days and the court date is as soon as we get back. "I mean it's either that or Calix is messaging while he's in a meeting with stockholders, which means you have completely broken him because he doesn't pick up his phone in meetings."

"I don't have a secret lover, nor am I texting Cal," I inform the brunette who stares at me like he doesn't know whether or not to believe me. "I'm just messaging a couple of my friends."

"Do you have other friends?" He tilts his head to the side like a little puppy. "I'm not even meaning it in a bad way, before you and your friends my only friend was Calix, and I have never heard of your interaction with anyone else."

"I do have other friends, they were childhood friends, I only saw them again for the first time the other night." Silas nods like that makes sense. A knock on the door interrupts us and Silas calls them in, there at the doorway stood my sister, without my knowledge she had moved over from being one of Calix's assistants to being Silas's. And when I asked him about it, he answered that I wouldn't have to see her when I came to visit him. He assured me that she hadn't taken a pay decrease, in fact, she had a lesser workload.

I might not be on the best terms with my sister but I didn't want her to fail at life.

"Miss Vanderburg, Mr Radliff has finished his meeting and is requesting your presence."

"Thank you, Kaitlyn." I nodded to my sister, I didn't frown or smile at her, I didn't feel much for her anymore. "I'll see you later Si."

"Bye Lettie." Silas waves but his eyes were focused on his computer screen.

I walked out of the office, and Kaitlyn was following behind me, not once did I look at her, instead, I just strutted down the hall and opened the door. Calix wasn't yet back in his office but I still made myself comfortable.

"Sorry I took a long time, Angel." Calix apologises, entering the office looking drained.

"Are you okay?" he was frazzled and evidently tired, he looked like his mind was all over the place.

Calix stopped when I asked him that, studying me like I was doing to him. It was almost like he couldn't believe I had asked him that. He took a deep breath and when he opened his eyes once more it was like this massive transformation had happened. He didn't look tired anymore or stressed. He looked content.