S I X T E E N

Calix Radcliff's POV

Both Scarlett's and Quinn's eyes narrowed at the group of people who had approached us a few minutes earlier. Their eyes were both burning with a fire I hadn't seen from either of them before.

"Hey bub, can you go wait with Gen and Si by the car? We'll be there in a few minutes." Quinn asks his son and looks to our other friends who nod in agreement. Silas easily scoops the child up and carries him away, keeping him engaged in a light-hearted conversation, but both him and Imogen were worried about the situation; they had no idea what was happening.

I think I knew.

With how they both reacted my thoughts automatically went back to a conversation I had with Scarlett months ago when we had first just met. How she had talked about her friends from highschool and Everett's mother.

I didn't get involved though, this wasn't my battle to fight and they were both more than capable of handling their own problems. But I was here if they needed me, and the hand I placed on Scarlett's lower back just let her know that.

One of the men's eyes zoomed in on the gesture and then his eyes landed on me, set in a harsh glare.

"You took him in?" A woman asked softly, her name was Selene. She had blonde hair, shades darker than Scarlett's and amber eyes that were so sad.

"Of course I took him in, Selene." Quinn crossed his arms defensively keeping his eyes on the woman who was looking down on the floor, ashamed.

"How did you..." She trailed off leaving the question in the air. How did you know about him?

"I got a call from social services, his DNA matched mine." Quinn answered but his tone hid any emotion from his voice. "You can't ask all the questions. All I want to know is why, why did you abandon a newborn at a hospital, why didn't you tell me, why did you hide the pregnancy?"

"Quinn..." Selene started, her voice trembling. "I wanted to tell you but I didn't think you would be happy about it. I didn't want to be the reason I ruined your future. You had all these plans to go to school and to take over the academy. And I wasn't ready to be a mother."

Scarlett breathed in a shaky breath that had me watching her in concern. Catching onto this, she looked over to me, sending me a reassuring smile but stepping back into my chest. She hoops our fingers together but that's all the weakness shows.

"That's no excuse." Scarlett tells her, but her voice was softer than Quinn's harsh tone. "Quinn's the father of that child and you neglected to tell him even though you were still dating for the first six months of your pregnancy."

"I know I regretted not telling you." She spoke to Quinn. "And I wanted to tell you but I didn't know you had taken him in. I had thought he ended up in a foster family or orphanage and I didn't know how to find him."

Scarlett Vanderburg's POV

I had enough of this, she was trying to justify one of the worst things and I wouldn't stand for it. "Quinn, go to your son."

Quinn was going to listen to me but Selene spoke up again. "Of course you listen to her, you always do. You always choose Scarlett, little miss perfect over me."

This angered Quinn and I could practically see smoke trailing out of his ears. "Yes, I'm going to choose Scarlett right now, because she was there when I needed help, she was there to babysit whenever I needed a break, she was there when I felt like the worst fucking father in the world, when I felt like I couldn't do this. She was the one who was looking out for me for the past three years. But three years ago? I would have chosen you without a second thought. Scarlett might be my sister but I thought you were the love of my life, the person I thought I would spend the rest of my life with."