E I G H T

Scarlett Vanderburg's POV

"I'm on my way, I promise." I said through the car speaker, and I truly was. I was sitting in my car, racing towards the country club that Quinn was waiting at. There was a polo match between the different clubs, it was recreational for members to participate in for those who were free on the day. Quinn had loved the sport and played competitively on the Atkins team all through school, and since I had met him I had been to all his matches. "Look, I can see the entrance now."

I cut the call, and drove to the valet, where there are hundreds more cars even more expensive than mine. It might be five o'clock on a Tuesday, but I was dressed like I was going to Saturday brunch. In a short Versace nude dress with three-dimensional flowers and Saint Laurent heels. My make-up was done to perfection as well. I might be here to support my best friend, but this was a place that could make or break your reputation and in this world reputation was everything.

"I thought you had plans?" I hear a voice from the side of me and turn to see Silas, Imogen, Calix all staring at me with a variety of different expressions

"These are my plans."

I greet each of them, making small talk as we walk towards the field. Calix pulls me to the side of the group a little while walking with me right next to him.

"You look gorgeous as always, Scarlett." He whispers softly to me. I look up, meeting his dark amber eyes, which are shining down at me softly.

"Thank you Calix." I was just about to compliment him back when I caught sight of something hurling towards me from the corner of my eyes. I immediately brace myself, so I don't fall on my butt in front of the top New York Socialites. When Everett is in reach I pick him up and pepper his cheeks with kisses, making him giggle. "Hi my baby."

"I told you I'm not a baby." He gets out between breaths, his cheeks bright red and his curls flying in every direction. His arms come up around my neck, and he hugs me tightly. "I missed you."

"I missed you too bad." I told him. "Where's your dad?"

"Over there." He points to the pitch where Quinn was warming up his horse. I finally remember Calix is standing next to me and I see him staring at me with a weird expression. Rhett had made himself comfortable in my arms, leaning his head on my neck. "Hi mister."