** THREE **

“It didn’t matter how big our house is; it mattered that there is love in it.”
- Peter Buffett

****

                OPENING THE DOOR of his room, Hamid walked out of his room with a small silver color laptop held in his hand. Just in time as he was about to head downstairs to the dining room where he was certain that breakfast was ready, he saw his mother coming out of his brother's room. She was holding him with one hand, as he rap on about something that doesn't seem to fascinate their mother. He was certain that she wasn't even listening to his rants. Her facial expression tells it already but the boy who was talking to her doesn't even know that. And that brought a light chuckle out of him.

He walked over to them as he greeted his mother. "Hi Mom, good morning." He gave her a side hug.

"Good morning, dear," she answered as she blew air kisses to the side of his face. Then he pulled away. "You've not taken your bath yet?" she asked staring down at his body. He was still in his oversized tees and baggy sweatpants that he wears to sleep.

While glancing down at his appearance, he answered, "That's not necessary. I'm not the one who is resuming back to school after a month's holiday." He glanced at his little brother who was brushing something off his wristwatch. "Moreover, I've brushed my teeth. I'm sure breakfast is ready, " he said with a smile to her.

His mother shook her head, disapprovingly. "You know nothing more than food. Just hear the nonsense you are telling me. Are you, not the one who decided to --"

"Let's not go there this morning, Mom," Hamid said sternly at his mother. She exhaled and said nothing. Then he turned to the little boy standing beside his mother, watching the drama in silence. "Hey, little man. Watsup?" He leaned his hand down, with his palm of his hand open toward his younger brother and the little boy got the clue and gave him a high-five.

Then he answered with enthusiasm like he always does. "I'm good big bro. And you?"

"Famished," he answered the kid who chuckled.

"Same. Mom made fried chicken and jollof rice just like we love it and..."

"Let's go downstairs. My husband is waiting," the woman said, interrupting her son. She knew he will explain both the unnecessary and necessary when he starts talking so she shut him up on time.

The boy pouted while Hamid just chuckled at her remark. She didn't wait for their response before she lead the way.

The two boys followed their mother down the staircase to the living room where their father was operating on his Samsung Fold that was wide open. He looked up when he heard the approaching sound of feet. A smile curled up on his face watching his family come close to him.

"Daddy," Amir yelled excitedly and he fell on him in an embrace, eliciting a loud chuckle from his father.

"How are you, little man?" he asked, chuckling.

"I'm good," he said, pulling away and falling into the seat beside the man. He turned to his side, to have a proper look at his father. "I'm going to school today, Dad."

"I can see. You are looking ready for today," he asserted.

He nodded. "Yes, almost," he replied. "And Hillary, my friend... Our next-door neighbor," He was squinting his eyes at his father to make sure he knows who he was talking about.

The man waited a few seconds with a feigned-thinking face before he said to the little boy, "Yeah, Hilary. I know her. Tacha sister."

"Yes, Dad. You got it right?" Amir beamed at his father, giving him a thumbs up. He looked so glad that his father knew about his friend. Then he went on with what he wanted to say, "She is the one. She gave me a notepad to write all the things I want to do today. So, that way I won't forget anything. Isn't that cute of her dad?"