** FORTY-SIX **

"Somebody please tell me you've got love figured out because I got news for you; it's pretty darn messy right now." - One Tree Hill

*****

          GROGGILY, JEDEKIAH BLINKED awake, his gaze landing on the wall clock across the room. He squinted, trying to make out the time, and a tiny smile tugged at his lips when he realized it was much later than he had expected.

It was just past noon.

They had all arrived back home at the dawn of the day and everyone separated to have a good sleep.

As he turned to stretch, the sight of his best friend sleeping next to him in a comically twisted position brought a chuckle to his lips. Knees bent, arms askew, it was a sight that never failed to amuse him.

He didn't even know when he returned to the room the other night. He had left him with Jewel when they returned.

The two seemed to have something going on between them. He hasn't asked him about it. But he was certain that he liked Jewel.

Taking one more glance at Zayn, he climbed down from the bed. Grateful for the light-heartedness it brought, he savored the fleeting moment of joy before preparing to leave the room.

He let out a deep breath and he went to the bathroom to pee and wash his face and mouth.

When he returned to the room, he glanced at Zayn who had rolled to his side of the bed. He couldn't help but to smile again as he appreciated the warmth of their friendship, even in the most mundane moments.

Then he headed out of the room, quietly slipping out of the room, brushing his fingers along the doorframe as he made his way down the hall.

Just as he reached the end of the corridor, heading towards the kitchen, a door ajar caught his attention. It was the room shared by Jesse and Khalid. Something within him compelled him to pause and curiously peek inside.

What he saw made his heart sink. There, in an intimate embrace was Khalid and someone he noticed was his new friend - Adelaide sharing the same bed. The girl whom he secretly harbored a crush on even if they were just friends.

Since the night of the new year at the beach, he had been suspecting some things going on with the two of them. He tried to wave it off, but it was obvious that they had grown a bond together since then as they had both spent most of the previous night together at the club.

He stood, staring at the sleeping duo.
Sadness washed over him as he realized the painful reality of the situation. He quickly averted his gaze, not wanting to intrude on their moment.

It was a bittersweet mixture of resignation and acceptance as he understood that Adelaide, the girl he longed for felt a stronger connection with his brother.

A cascade of emotions flooded his thoughts. Disappointment ebbed away at him, but deep down, he knew he had to find a way to come to terms with the situation. It was a difficult pill to swallow, but he resolved to navigate his feelings with grace and dignity.

He was still in his thoughts when Chinecherem appeared behind him.

"I guess a lot of things went down last night," she stated, looking over his shoulder at the room, albeit on tiptoe.

Jedekaih swiftly turned around, shocked to see her.

"Hey, good morning. I mean... good afternoon," he greeted with a small smile.

"Yeah, it's noon already. Good afternoon," she responded with a mirrored expression. "You are going to the kitchen, right?"

"Yes, I want to drink water. Let's go." He closed the door to the room and then they headed to the kitchen together.