** THIRTY-FIVE **

“There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it.” 
― Shannon L. Alder

*******

              JARED APPROACHED HAMID who was sitting on the armchair in the living room tapping on his laptop. He went to take a seat beside him, stretching a can of malt to him. He peered at his outstretched arms and he smiled, receiving the can from him.

"Thanks, Jare. How's Joanne?" He asked, popping the lid open.

"She is getting better." He replied as he take a sip from his can of drink.

Hamid dropped his laptop on the centre table while some green code move up the screen. Jared stared at the screen with awe and since he doesn't seem to understand what was on the screen, he looked away. Hamid wiped the corner of his lips as he take the can away from his lips.

"Jare, thanks for taking care of my sister. You've made the last few days a lot easier for her." Hamid appreciated it gratefully. "I owe you, man." He patted his shoulder and Jared's face curled to a small smile.

"It's nothing. Yasmine is my friend and she needs me."

"Yeah, I know. But I still owe you." He shook his head.

Jared was quiet for a while before he said. "But she still needs to see the triplet. She had been avoiding them. Maybe you should talk to her. I've been receiving calls from Khalid and Jesse. She can't hide from them forever."

"That's right." Hamid exhaled. "But if she needs some time away from them that's okay. I can't force her. But she will come around. I know that. Yasmine does not know how to stay mad forever. Have you talked to Jaime?"

"No," He shook his head, cupping his hands around the can in his hand. "He won't pick up my calls. I can't go to his house because I am ashamed to face him."

"Why would you be ashamed to see him? Is it about what happened on Friday?" Hamid queried, staring at Jared who won't look at him.

Jared nodded again. His eyes were glued to the can in between his hands. "Yeah, I know that I hurt him. He might be a jerk but he is still my best friend and I punched him in the face. Something he is always scared of. I did it anyway despite he was saying the truth. All he said was nothing but the truth. Something we ought to have told Yasmin. But I was too scared to. I am a coward."

"Don't say that. Everyone isn't as blunt as Jaime and... Courageous." Hamid added after a while. It was the truth.

Jaime was bold and he always speaks up his mind or the truth. He was blunt and though, they don't always admit it but they all know that.

Jared chuckled, nodding in agreement. "That's right. Guess the truth is bitter. And I had to resort to hitting his handsome face. I hurt my friend for telling me the truth."

"I get what you mean., Hamid told him. "But it does not change the fact that he was rude about it. His sarcastic words hurt. He has a way with his words that get under our skins."

"Yeah," Jared admitted quietly. Then chirped in. "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence."

Hamid's chest rumbles as he chuckled. "Now you are quoting Oscar Wilde for me to defend your best friend."

"Yeah, Jaime is smart. And he knows that." Jared grinned. "That's also his usual way of speaking especially if he is angry."

"I get. He is your best friend and you will always defend him." Jared smiled while he nodded in agreement. "I will also do the same for Joanne anytime, anywhere. But Jaime aside, let's speak about you."