** THIRTEEN **

"Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it's all over." -
Octvaia Butler

******

                  SCHOOL WAS NOT so much fun for Jesse that Friday. The last few days had been quite the opposite. Ever since Khalid decided and asked them to stop being listless, the mood had returned to normal and the last few days was fun. They had gone skating, shopping, and did other things after school. And even the twins and Jedekaih went with them. Their mother was excited when she saw them back to themselves and the house was lively again.

But that day was different. The mood had returned to the same one from few days ago which had started the previous night when their mother had told them that their fathers will be returning later that day or early the next day.

That single announcement had ruined the mood in the house again.

Jesse had to watch his friend return to that old self that he dread so much. Khalid acted more like a walking corpse for the entire day at school. He won't even talk and their friends kept asking what was wrong with him and the change of attitude again. So does everyone else. He spent the whole day finding and giving ridiculous excuses  to everyone.

Finally, when the school was over, there had been no need to take extra time at school since Khalid wasn't interested in anything than to get home.

He noticed that even Jaime kept glancing their way throughout the ride home. He knew what must be going through his head. But fortunately, he didn't utter any word to them.

So, the ride home was quiet except from the twins asking questions which Jedekaih politely reply them. He offered to answer their questions including the ones that was directed to Jesse and Khalid. He understood what was going on and he tried to make their younger ones understand the way he could think of.

On getting home, they were greeted by the sound of loud laughter and voices. Jesse eyes immediately went to his best friend. His face was placid with no emotion on it. He couldn't tell what was going through his mind. And he hated it. It was only making things harder for him.

"Dad is back." Jaime said excitedly as he appeared at their back. He had heard the voices immediately he stepped into the house after them. "Why are you both standing here?" He stopped to ask them. His brows quirked quizzically. "It looks like our pop man are here. I'm hearing more than one voice." He was referring to Khalid.

"Shut up and mind your business." Jesse barked at him.

Jaime just frowned in confusion. "What's your problem? Must you always act uncultured, behaving like a maniac." He scoffed, annoyed.

"And must you always be so insensitive and narcissistic. Get out of here." Jesse growled at his brother. The two teenagers glared at each other, furiously.

"Hey, you two." Jedekaih quickly stepped in when he noticed the tension between the two of them. "We just get back home. Must you welcome dad with your fight?" Jedekaih asked, moving in between his two brothers.

Jaime pushed him away when he tried pulling them further apart. Then he directed his scowl at him.

"Mind your damn business Kai." He snapped at Jedekaih.

He still tried to pacify the two without getting offended by the fact that he was just pushed really hard by his brother. "Calm down Jaime, you shouldn't . . . ."

Jaime cut him abruptly. "Keep the lecture to yourself." He snapped at him. He threw a glare at Jesse before he walked away.

They watched his residing back and Jedekaih sighed with relief.