** THIRTY-NINE **

“Anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you.” — Misty Copeland    

******

           SOMETIMES AFTER BREAKFAST, the Coterie sat together in the living room everyone with their respective phones and other devices. It was only Zayn and Chinecherem that were arguing quietly about an unknown topic.

"Jewel, I've been meaning to ask you something," Khalid spoke up when Jewel walked into the room with a bottle of soda water. All eyes moved from him to Jewel.

"What is it?" she asked as she took a seat next to Chizaram and Yasmine where she had been before she went to get a drink from the kitchen.

"Why do you begin to dress differently?" he asked her with curious eyes. "You don't normally dress this way? Is it because of the cold?"

He had noticed that her dress senses changed since the holiday started. Even during the beach party the other night, she refused to take off the baggy sweatshirt and trousers she was wearing which was so unusual. So he promised himself to ask at a good time which was that moment.

"I've been thinking the same thing," Jesse asserted, putting a hand up. "You've also not posted anything on your social media handles for a while. Is something wrong or are you taking a break?"

He noticed Jewel's countenance changed a little, but he waved it off, thinking he had imagined it.

Jewel pulled her bottom lips between her teeth as all eyes were now on her, waiting for her response. She was certain that the others have the same thoughts.

She exchanged a look with Jared who nodded at her, urging her to do as they talked about the other night.

She was very reluctant. She looked at Chizaram who just stared back at her. She couldn't tell what was going on in her mind. They had argued that morning over the issue. She had told her about telling Jared about her skin disorder. She seemed mad that she didn't tell her before doing so. She had tried waving it off. But her anger worsened when she told her that she was planning on telling the others too.  She tried convincing her against it and giving her reasons why she shouldn't tell them. She had believed her and promised to do as she advised her - keeping the secret from her other friends.

But now, all eyes were on her, waiting for a response. How could she lie to them? Her mother had always told her that any decision that she made will bounce back on her in the future. What if the lie makes her lose good friends? She couldn't afford for that to happen. The Coterie were her second family and she would do anything not to ruin that relationship.

Looking over at Jared, she remembered his advice, his kind words and she thought it was better if she opened up to her friends. It was better she faced her friends once and for all. Moreover, she was tired of hiding the truth. She felt like she was carrying a weight with her. She wasn't comfortable lying to them especially as everyone open up about their respective issues.

She shifted her gaze to Chizaram. Their eyes spoke volumes. She wanted her to give her another sort of encouragement as her best friend. Reluctantly, Chizaram nodded giving her a go-ahead. A small smile of gratitude crossed Jewel's face before she turned to the others, thinking of how to start.

"Jewel?" Khalid called exchanging a look with Jesse who had the same concerned expression on his face. They were both thinking their questions had offended her since she remained quiet.

Quietly, Jewel started, "There is a reason why I chose to dress this way," she stated looking down at her intertwined fingers. Her statement just made the others more confused.