Chapter 1: The Desperate Heart

Later in the night, Briar and her friends have already returned to the Ramshackle Dorm to get some sleep. Briar and Sereia are sleeping in one room. Trinket is sleeping on the furniture close by, using a small pillow as her bed and small clothes for a pillow and blanket. In the other room next door. Jasper and Tanzanite are asleep in the big together. Grim is sleeping on the same bed as well, but curled up like a cat with a blanket over him. They've been through a lot on their first day of work, so they deserve to get a good night's rest. By the upcoming morning, they'll begin their day as official students of Night Raven College.

During the night, Briar tosses and turns a little, almost like she is in a dream. Suddenly, she comes to a stop and sits up from the bed. However, Briar has her head tilted forward and her eyes are closed, like she's sleeping while she stands. Soon, Briar gently removes the covers and gently climbs herself out of bed. She then slowly walks away from the bed, and towards the mirror that is hanging on the wall over the fireplace. When she approaches the mirror and in her sleep, Briar gently lifts her hand and places her hand on it.

With that, the mirror ripples in reaction and a white vortex appears in the mirror. And suddenly, a strange telepathic connection appears within her mind.

Briar's Mind:

Briar suddenly opens her eyes and looks around to find herself in an odd area. Briar looks around to see a large hedge area with entrances and hearts on some areas of the hedge like pillars. She then sees tall white rose bushes with hedges of different shapes: Diamonds, Hearts, Spades, and Clubs.

Briar looks around and wonders, "Where am I? Am I in some kind of hedge maze, and am I in some kind of garden?"

Briar continues to look around to see that she is all alone in this odd area. She jumps up and finds herself within a maze of large hedges.

Suddenly, there is a walking being or a playing card appears. It's black and it has the Ace of Spades on it. The living card is holding a paint brush covered in red paint. To Briar's confusion, she notices that the Ace of Clubs is painting the white roses red on the heart shaped bush.

The Card says, "Hurry up and paint the roses red!"

Then, another card appears, holding a paint bucket and the red painted brush in his other hand. This one has the 2 of Clubs on it.

He paints the roses from the red, "Slather them quickly as aforesaid!"

The Ace of Spade continues painting, "Hurry, hurry! There are still roses left to paint!"

Briar is deeply confused, "They're painting... roses? Why would they be painting the white roses red?"

Suddenly, a young girl appears. She has a slender figure and appears fairly petite. She has big blue eyes, fair skin, and blonde, thick, medium-length hair held back by a black ribbon tied in a bow. She is wearing a cerulean and light blue short-sleeved knee-length white skirted dress, with a white pinafore apron on top. Underneath her dress, she wears a white corset, a white petticoat, a frilly white knee-length and matching thigh-high stockings, a frilly white knee-length and matching pantalettes, and a matching lace slip. She also sports black strapped Mary Jane shoes with brown/gray soles.

"Who's that girl?" Briar wonders.

She walks over and asks, "Um excuse me..."

When she tries to touch her, her body or the girl's body, phases through one another.

"Huh?" Briar says, confused.

Then Briar calls out, "Hello, can you hear me?"

But the girl isn't listening to a word she says. Suddenly, a thought came to her mind.