Chapter 15: An Army of One

Late at night, Sereia and Trinket are fast asleep, but Briar struggles to go back to sleep after the shock she just had. She is so shocked that she struggles to go to sleep, but she is so tired that she feels like sleeping.

Like the night before, the mirror begins rippling, signaling Briar to walk over, even though she's half asleep.

Soon, Briar slowly opens her eyes to find herself in the maze.

Shelooks around and says, "This... this is almost like what happened last night... So.... is this another dream...?" But why...?"

Soon, Briar notices figures appearing before her. There she sees Alice on the ground, along with a woman holding a rose bush from the bark, and seems to have been pulled out from the ground, including the roots.

The woman has a massive physique. She also has fair skin, black eyes, and black hair tied in the back with a red headband. She dresses in a black-and-red gown with black-and-yellow stripes. Beneath her gown are a pair of white bloomers with a heart pattern and she wears red heels on her feet. Atop the queen's head is a small, gold crown, signifying her authority. She also dons matching gold earrings.

Seeing the woman, she can't help noticing, "That woman looks very familiar."

Unknown to Briar, this woman is known as the Queen of Hearts.

The queen angrily says, "For painting my roses red, someone will lose his head!"

Briar becomes stunned to hear the queen's statement. And just then, the three cards from before appear before them.

The Three of Clubs panics, "Y-your majesty, if anyone's to blame, it's him!" and holds a paintbrush.

Then the Two of Clubs panics, "Have mercy, your grace. It was the Ace!" and points to the Ace.

The queen glares, "So it was YOU."

The Ace of Clubs panics who has a paint bucket on his head, "Gah, no. It was the Two!"

"Then he will pay," The queen angrily says.

The two of Clubs panics, "It was the Three, I say!"

Then the Queen of Hearts shouts, "Enough of this! OFF with ALL their heads!"

And soon, the other card guards begin to take the three Club cards away, leaving Alice behind as the crowd cheers.

A Two of Diamond Card says, ""A fitting end. Color, you can't mend."

Then the Three of Spades says, "Everyone knows the roses should be red."

Soon, the scene just disappears in a blink of an eye, leaving Briar to think of what she has witnessed.

"But they're just roses! Why is she getting all upset about a bunch of roses?" Briar says to herself in thought.

The next morning, Briar and the others are still asleep in their bedroom.

Briar soon wakes up and lets out a yawn.

Then she rubs her eyes, ""What a strange dream?"

And rubs the sleep out of her eyes.

She then sees the others are waking up as well.

Sometime later, after getting dressed, Briar and the others walk down the stairs.

And are soon greeted by Deuce, "Good morning Briar. The unbirthday party is today. If we're late, well, you know..."

Briar yawns a little and says, "That's right... The party's today."

Suddenly, they hear the sound of someone knocking on the door.

"Hmm? It sounds like you have a visitor," Deuce replies.