Chapter 9: A Mealtime Chat

Seeing the housewarden, Riddle Rosehearts, leave Ace in shock, "Bwah?! Housewarden!"

Cater nervously smiles and waves to him, "Hey, Riddle! What's shakin', pal? You're lookin' adorbs, as always!"

"Hmph," Riddle replies, "Cater, keep running that mouth and you'll lose it - along with the rest of your head."

"Sorry, sorry! My bad!" Cater apologizes.

Seeing the Hearthslabyul housewarden, Grim becomes angry, "Myah?! You're the guy who put that stupid collar on me at the orientation ceremony!"

"After the fiasco you've caused," Briar says in thought.

Riddle turns to see Briar and Grim, "And you're the new students who were nearly expelled yesterday. I'll ask that you not refer to my signature spell as a stupid collar. The headmage's habit of tolerating rulebreakers like you is going to send this entire campus spiraling into chaos one day. Those who break the rules should have their heads removed immediately, without exception."

"Don't you think that sounded a little too harsh?" Briar questions.

"Dude, seriously? This guy looks like a wimp, but talks like a monster!" Ace softly says to himself.

But Riddle says to the group, "The headmage may have forgiven you, but if you break any further rules, I assure you I will not."

He then notices Sereia, Jasper, Tanzanite, and Trinket.

"Hmm, and it appears that you have required more students into your dorm," Riddle replies.

Briar nods her head, "Yes. They become fellow students and roommates at the Ramshackle Dorm. The doll girl is Sereia. The little fairy is Trinket, and these two are the twins, Jasper and Tanzanite. Headmage Crowley gave them all permission to come to the school, and as their housewarden, I need to watch over them."

Then sternly turns to Grim, "And to keep them from getting into trouble."

"What are you looking at me?" Grim questions.

"Because we almost got in trouble because of the trouble you caused," Sereia sternly says.

"What do you say you puny little doll?!" Grim angrily says.

Then Sereia whines, "I'm not puny."

"Alright you two, that's enough. We agreed to not argue or get ourselves into trouble," Briar calmly says.

"Okay," Sereia says with a smile.

Grim groans and says, "Fine."

Ace rubs the back of his head and asks, "So, uh, listen, housewarden, sir... Any chance I could get you to remove this collar?

"I had intended to remove it once you'd taken an opportunity to reflect upon your crimes. But I've not detected so much as a hint of remorse in the foolishness I've heard you spout today. So I think I'll let you keep that for a while. Don't worry. The freshman curriculum is more focused on magical theory than practice. And your inability to use magic will help prevent incidents along the lines of what happened yesterday. Now, if you've finished your meal, you should quit gossiping and prepare for your next class. Rule 271 is quite clear: 'One must leave the table within fifteen minutes of completing their lunch.' You DO understand what happens to rulebreakers, I trust?

Ace sighs and says, "More insane rules..."

"I believe you mean to say, 'Yes, Housewarden!'" Riddle sternly says.

Deuce and Ace answer, "Yes, Housewarden!"

Briar says in thought, "Is he supposed to be a housewarden or a general?"