Chapter 20: Rookie Frustration

And with that, Briar, Ace, and Deuce explain to Crowley about the situation they're in and about Briar's sudden headaches and outburst at the Unbirthday party.

"Ah... I believe I understand the situation," Crowley says, "You are resistant to the idea of apologizing, but unable to devise any other method to get the housewarden to remove the collar."

"Yeah, pretty much," Ace replies.

"I see," Crowley replies.

Then says, "If you and the housewarden are truly unable to reconcile, you could always transfer. However, this is the dorm that the Dark Mirror chose for you based on the essence of your being. Any attempt to relocate would necessitate quite a burdensome process, as well as a new ritual."

"A transfer, huh...? That'd make me feel like I was running away with my tail between my legs," Ace replies.

"Hmm," Crowley thinks.

Then says, "Then it sounds like you should challenge Mr. Rosehearts for leadership of the dorm."

"WHAAAAAT?!" The group exclaims in shock.

Crowley sternly says, "Lower your voices! This is a library!"

Trying to remain calm, Ace whispers, "But what you said was...insane!"

"There is nothing remotely 'insane' about it. After all, that's how Mr. Rosehearts got the position," Crowley says.

"What exactly is the process by which housewardens are selected at Night Raven College?" Deuce asks.

"Trey said that Riddle became housewarden within his first week as a student here," Grim says.

"And that Riddle has been under strict lessons of magic since he was a kid, and has learned how to use his signature spell when he was ten," Tanzanite adds.

"I'm sure there's more to being selected as a housewarden besides a duel. I end up becoming a housewarden without all that stuff," Briar says.

"That's true," Jasper says.

Then Crowley explains, "There are several ways. You could be appointed by the previous housewarden, for example, or duel the current warden and win. A duel is certainly one of the simpler methods."

"But isn't fighting with magic against the rules?" Ace asks.

"In general, yes," Crowley answers, "A duel initiated through a formal procedure and conducted in the presence of the headmage is another matter entirely."

Then Trey says, "I'm pretty sure the duel rules don't allow for preemptively handicapping your opponent... So this could be a way to force Riddle to remove your collar without apologizing. That said..."

"The right to challenge a housewarden is bestowed upon all students when enrolling at Night Raven," Crowley says.

He then turns to Ace and questions, "So what do you say, Mr. Trappola? Will you challenge Mr. Rosehearts?"

Just then, Ace says, "Sure, I'll give it a shot!"

"Then I will too," Deuce says.

Then Grim says, "Me three!"

"Uh Grim, I don't think that's possible," Briar replies.

"Why not?" Grim asks.

"She is correct, Mr. Grim. You cannot challenge a housewarden of a dorm to which you do not belong," Crowley says.

This shocks Grim, "Myah?! Then how'm I supposed to get this buzzkill collar off?! Not to mention Jasper and Tanzanite?!"

Then Ace says, "If I become housewarden, I'll just order Riddle to remove it! Easy-peasy!"

"How will everyone know how tough I am if you do that?" Grim questions with frustration.

Sereia then pats Grim on the shoulder, "I'm sure there are other ways to prove how tough you are."

Concerned about the idea, Trey asks, "Are you sure about this? I certainly didn't expect you to throw your hat in the ring, Deuce."

"You didn't? I think every man's gotta make a grab for glory at least once in his lifetime," Deuce answers and slams his hands on the palm of his other hand, "And if we're teaming up to take him down, ya better believe I'm running the show!"

"Oh man, here we go again," Ace says with a smirk on his face.

Deuce questions, "Huh? What'd you say?"

"Then I'll get started on the paperwork," Crowley says.

"Guys, are you sure this is a good idea? What if something happens?" Briar asks.

"Don't get all worked up on me now. All we need's a plan," Ace says.

Then asks, " Anyone got one?

Deuce begins to think, "Hmm. Hard to imagine we can beat Riddle with straightforward magic. A solid left hook, on the other hand..."

"Yeah, that guy looks like a pushover!" Grim says.

But Briar says with a wary face, "Trust me guys, Riddle doesn't seem like a pushover."

Then Crowley says, "Ah, did I forget to mention that detail? These duels are to be fought solely with magic."

"What?!" Deuce replies, shocked.

"Ha ha ha!" Crowley laughs, and adds, "Nothing beats a good, civilized duel! Now, the paperwork should be prepared and filed on the morrow, and the duel scheduled accordingly."

Then Ace says, "Alright, let's do this! I may not be the world's greatest mage, but...I'll figure something out!"

"That's the spirit!" Deuce says.

Grim angrily says, "My head's on the line here, so don't mess this up!

"You guys..." Trey says, starting to grow concerned about this idea.

Determined, Ace says, "When I'm housewarden, I'm gonna make Riddle fess up to bein' wrong. I'll make him apologize, too! And no one in the dorm is gonna have to live by any crazy rules ever again!"

Briar sighs, "Let's just head back to the dorm and think of an idea on how to deal with Riddle."

Then mutters, "I just hope we can figure a way out of this mess. I don't know why, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this. Almost like... something's bad is going to happen. And I don't like this feeling one bit."

Sometime later, at the Ramshackle Dorm, since Ace and Deuce can't return to their dorm, Briar and the others allow them to stay at their dorm for a while, until the problem is settled. Everyone has already gone to bed and is sleeping. Briar is the only one who isn't asleep.

Briar says to herself, "What is happening....? Why do I have this uneasy feeling that something bad is going to happen? And what happened earlier today at the Unbirthday Party..."

Briar remembers seeing the frightening red and black aura around Riddle's body as he uses his magic.

"The strange aura..." Briar says to herself.

Then remembers, "And Riddles' magic pen..."

Then Briar remembers seeing the gem on the pen is starting to turn black and some black ooze is starting to seep out.

"Why was his pen like that? It happened when Riddle was using his magic," Briar says to herself.

She sadly sighs and says, "I just hope we can get this sorted out tomorrow. And I think I should tell Crowley what has happened at the party besides the headache I've gotten..."

And so, Briar falls asleep for the night, hopefully things will get better tomorrow, but still has this thought that she needs to prepare for the worst.