Chapter 17: A Rule Slip

Soon enough, the Unbirthday Party in the Tea Garden starts to get heated because Ace doesn't know about a rule about not bringing chestnut tarts to the Unbirthday party.

Ace says in shock, "Whoa, hold up! Is that one of your rules too?!"

"Yeah! If you want the tart gone, let me eat it!" Grim says, not happy that Riddle is trashing food.

Trey then says to Riddle, "Housewarden, allow me to apologize. I was the one who suggested making a chestnut tart."

"I was a part of that too. We had no idea there was a rule about it!" Cater says.

But Riddle says, "The making of the tart is not the issue. The issue is bringing it HERE. Today. THAT is the transgression!"

"Come on Riddle, don't be like that. They just made a mistake. There's no need to get upset over it," Briar says.

Then Jasper crosses his arms, "How can you live by such weird rules?"

"And you didn't have to be mean about it," Tanzanite adds.

"Yeah. Why are you being so mean after all the hard work we did?" Sereia adds.

"Weird?" Riddle questions with a stern face.

"Well, some of your dorm's rules are a bit, well, far-fetched," Briar replies, scratching the back of her head.

Then Ace angrily says, "Yeah! All you do is cite one stupid rule after another! You sound totally foolish!"

"What did you just call me? 'Foolish'?!" Riddle demands, and is getting angry.

Cater calls out, "Everyone, stop! Don't dig this hole any deeper! And Riddle, please try to remember that these are new students who've only been here a few days!

"Nah, bro. I've got a shovel and I am DIGGING," Ace answers, refusing to back down, "Throwing away a tart to obey some insane rule is about as foolish as it gets."

Then Deuce saus, "I agree with Ace. Of course, I understand that rules do need to be followed, but... This is going much too far."

"Are you attempting to debate me?" Riddle questions. "Bold move. But I'll bite. By breaking even the smallest rule, you are throwing wide the gate to anarchy."

Briar is growing concerned about how things are going, but as she looks at Riddle, she notices something... off... about Riddle. She rubs her eyes and suddenly sees a mixture of black and red aura surrounding Riddle, like both colors are clashing against each other.

Then Ace calls out to the students, "Everyone, I know you're afraid of getting your magic sealed away, but you know this is insane, right?"

However, one of the Heartslbyul student becomes reluctant, "N-no, we, uh..."

Riddle turns to the student and questions, "Well? Isn't it?"

Then the student says, "Far from it, Housewarden Riddle, sir!"

Then another student says, "We trust in your judgment, sir!"

To Briar and the other's shock, the student seems to be on Riddle's side, but it's clear to see that they're doing it out of fear of him.

Hearing this makes Grim growl in anger, "You little...

Ace is just as angry as Grim, "You spineless, fair-weather cowards..."

Then Riddle says, "In the year since I became housewarden, not a single student from Heartslabyul House has dropped out or been held back a year. We are the only house that can boast such a feat. Furthermore, of everyone in this dorm, I have the best academic standing. Hence, I am the most correct! If you would simply obey me without question, we wouldn't need to contend so.