Chapter 11: Secret in the Oysters

Sometime later, after much more work on the chestnuts.

"There! Finally got 'em all pureed!" Ace says, feeling exhausted.

Deuce feels just as exhausted, "My arm is killing me..."

"Nice work. It'll be all the sweeter for your pain!" Trey says with a calm smile.

Jasper slumps on the table, "My arms feel like it's going to fall off."

"Who knew cooking can be this tiring," Tanzanite says, feeling just as tired.

Briar, Trinket, and Sereia aren't that tired at all.

"I have a good time," Sereia says.

Trinket happily nods in reply.

"Yeah, the chestnuts are doing good too," Briar says.

Grim stares at the pot with desire in his eyes.

He sniffs the put and says, "The smell alone already has me droolin'..."

"I just need to add butter and sugar to the chestnut paste, and a sensible splash of oyster sauce - that's my secret ingredient!" Trey says.

"Oyster sauce?!" Deuce, Ace, Jasper, and Tanzanite say in shock.

"Yep. The umami of the oysters gives the cream a deep, savory flavor. I use this one here: Walrus-brand Young Oyster Sauce. All the best bakers use it in their tarts," Trey says, with a calm smile.

"Is that a fact?" Briar questions, giving Trey a suspicious look.

Shocked, Deuce asks, "Really? But isn't oyster sauce like, super salty?"

"Some folks put chocolate into curry, don't they? Maybe it's the same idea," Ace says.

Jasper sticks his tongue out in disgust, "Blech! That sounds really gross!"

Sereia turns to Briar and asks, "Briar, is it true that Oyster Sauce goes in tarts?

Briar whispers, "Of course they don't. I don't think Trey was serious about it."

Suddenly, Trey begins laughing, "Pfft... Ah ha ha ha!" and says, "I'm totally lying! No one in their right mind would put oyster sauce into a pastry."

"What?! So you were just yankin' our chain?" Ace asks angrily.

"Well duh. I didn't think Trey was actually serious about it," Briar replies.

Trey laughs again, "Ah ha ha! I mean," And says, "if you'd used your brain, you'd have realized how ridiculous it was! Let that be a lesson to you. Don't believe everything you hear."

"Feh. And here I thought that human was actually somewhat decent," Grim replies.

Briar, Sereia, Trinket, Jasper, and Tanzanite turn to Grim with a confused look.

"Next, I'll put in the cream..." Trey says, but soon notices. "Oh!"

"What's wrong?" Ace asks.

You guys gathered so many chestnuts that we may have overdone it with the chestnut paste. I don't think we have enough cream to mix in," Trey says.

Then Deuce says, "Then I'll go buy some. Do they sell it at the school store?

"They sell pretty much everything, so... probably," Trey replies.

Then asks, Can I have you pick me up a few other things? I need two cartons of milk, two packs of eggs, some muffin cups, five cans of fruit..."

"I don't think I'll be able to carry all that back," Deuce says.

Then Briar says, "I don't mind going with you if that's okay."

"Sure. I don't mind," Deuce says.

"Can I come too?" Sereia asks.

"Sure," Briar says.

Then Grim says, "Then I'm comin' too! I'm getting dizzy from all this stirrin'. I need a break!"

Jasper whispers to Tanzanite, "And to keep him distracted from the chestnuts."

Tanzanite chuckles as he covers his mouth.

"Alright we'll go to the store and we'll be right back," Briar says.

"Okay," Sereia says.

And with that, Deuce, Briar, Sereia, and Grim head out of the kitchen and to the store where they can buy some cream and other supplies.

Sometime later, the group walks inside the store called Mr. S'S Mystery Shop to see a lot of bottles, masks, a counter with books and such, strange looking dolls, and a piano.

As they enter the shop, Deuce calls out, Hello, can I get some he-"

But stops to see what they are seeing inside the store, "Whoa. This shop is wild. They have crystal skulls, grimoires, taxidermied... Uh, I don't even know what animal that is!"

"There are a lot of potion bottles, and other stuff too," Seriea says.

"You think they really sell cream here?" Grim asks.

"I'm not sure. It looks a lot like voodoo shop if anything," Briar replies.

Suddenly, they hear a voice, "Greetings, my stray imps, How fare you today?"

Everyone turns to see a young man with magenta eyes walking towards them. He also has black-and-purple locs flipped over the right side of his head, and an undercut. He has white skeletal markings painted beneath his eyes, on his neck, on his chest, and on his forearms. There are also white rib markings on the bright purple vest he wears beneath his maroon blazer; this skeletal motif is complete with a small skull affixed to his hat.

The man says, "Welcome to Mr. Sam's Mystery Shop. What among my humble selection interests you? A charm from a secluded land? The mummified remains of an ancient king? A cursed tarot card?"

Grim reacts in surprise and a little frightened, "Myah! I wasn't expectin' this kinda selection."

"No kidding," Briar says.