Chapter 22: Delicacy That Shocked the Tribe (1)

Under Qiao Mo's instructions, Harry shaved off all the fur. His method of shaving was simple. He would simply roast it with fire until it was done before throwing it into the snow to extinguish the flames.

He'd then use a sharp stone tool to shave off the lowest layer of fur.

He had wanted to skin it straightaway, but Qiao Mo didn't agree to that. Was he joking? The skin tasted the best in braised dishes!

After everything was done, Harry dismembered the entire antelope under Qiao Mo's command.

Other than the simple scalpel in the first aid kit, Qiao Mo had also brought a small knife. However, it was only a fruit knife intended to be used for cutting potatoes and other ingredients when they went up the mountain to barbecue. It was barely enough to cut up the meat, but it was definitely impossible to chop through the bones.

Fortunately, when Harry heard that Qiao Mo needed to chop up the bones into pieces, he used a stone tool to help her. The effect was not the best, but it'd work.

Then, Qiao Mo threw the meat into the huge stone pot to cook and poured in most of the little bit of cooking wine that she had left. When the water boiled, Qiao Mo had Harry scoop up the meat.

Qiao Mo explained, "This pot of water is used to blanch the meat. It's equivalent to washing away the blood foam and fishy smell of the mutton. Later, we'll change to a new pot of water and cook it again."

Harry didn't understand. They had tried boiling meat with water before, but it was very unpalatable. Therefore, no beastmen were willing to try this method again.

Could it be that changing a pot of water would make things different?

Qiao Mo did not ask Harry to boil the water again for the time being. Instead, she threw in a few pieces of fatty meat into the pot and fry out the oil. She then added a handful of chili inside.

After the chili entered the pot, the stone pot began to sizzle and crackle.

Harry stood there like a curious baby, staring at Qiao Mo's movements.

Qiao Mo began to stir-fry the chili, taking out some white sugar from her bag and pouring it into the pot. When the sugar completely melted and turned into a brown sticky liquid, Qiao Mo quickly signaled to Harry. "Pour the meat in!"

Harry did as he was told. Qiao Mo then used the wooden plank to stir the meat in the pot vigorously. She muttered to himself, "This is called caramelizing. It's used to add color to the meat, and it also improves its freshness."

Harry nodded, not sure if he really understood.

She tried her best to coat all the meat with the sugar syrup before saying, "Add some water into the pot."

Harry obediently poured water into the pot.

After the water boiled, Qiao Mo threw in a few pieces of bay leaves and cinnamon. These were all things that Harry found in the forest that was said to be 'inedible'.

Finally, Qiao Mo started to add salt into the pot.

"Do you have a lid? It's best to cover it. It'll probably take an hour or two to cook such a big pot of it," Qiao Mo said with a smile.

After understanding the use of the lid, Harry found a wooden board. "This is used by the females in the tribe to dry spices under. It's very clean."

About an hour and a half later, the fragrance from the pot permeated the entire tribe.

The wolf race had a very sharp sense of smell. Moreover, this was an unfamiliar yet nice and strong smell.

Hence, gradually, a large number of tribe members gathered in the courtyard of Harry's house. The females greeted Qiao Mo as they walked into the courtyard. Their males only stood at the entrance of the courtyard and looked curiously.

It was because even though the wolf race was very territorial, they were very tolerant towards females. Without permission, males usually would not easily step into another beastman's courtyard.

Lily had also come and was sniffing around the pot with her upturned nose. "I've never smelled anything so fragrant, and there seems to be a smell that makes me uncomfortable inside, yet attracts me so! Qiao Mo, what are you cooking?"

Seeing that it was about time, Qiao Mo pursed her lips and smiled before removing the lid.

The billowing hot air rose in spirals in the courtyard on the winter day, and the rich aroma of meat engulfed the wolf tribe's territory. All the beastmen swallowed their saliva unconsciously. The eyes of the females who were close to them almost dropped into the huge pot.

The water in the pot was actually red!

There was a layer of oil floating on top of it and it was seething!