Chapter 1 - By His Side

*laughing*

"Why are you laughing?"

"Nothing, just......something funny...."

Lan Zhan stared at his injured beloved with a concerned look on his face. The man in front of him was just stabbed and he sits here laughing like it is something to laugh about.

'Has he lost too much blood, that he's going a bit crazy?' Lan Zhan thought.

"When everyone feared me and flattered me, you were the only one who scolded me; but now, when everyone hates me, abandons me, and wants me to die, you're the only one standing by my side."

Lan Zhan continued to stare at his wounded friend that he loved so much. He knows that the man was in pain, not just because of the stab wound but because he is hurting emotionally.

"You should know the truth, Lan Zhan."

"What truth?"

*coughing and choking up stale blood*

Lan Zhan needed to get his love safe and treat his wound. He will ask questions later. Before he could do anything, Wei Ying lost consciousness. Lan Zhan picked him up.

"Wangji?" Lan Xichen called finding his brother.

"Xiongzhang, I'm sorry," Wangji said to him.

"Don't apologize, I would have done the same if I were in your place," Xichen said, "let's get him to Cloud Recesses. He will be safe there with me around."

Wangji nodded and flew back to Gusu. With Wei Ying in his arms, Wangji following his brother home. He will fix his lover's wound and do what he can to save him. Instead of the infirmary, he was brought to the Jingshi (The Silent Room). He placed his beloved on the bed and carefully started to remove his robes to check his wound.

It was fairly deep. It indeed was stabbed a second time. The brand mark was also on the man's chest. Lan Zhan also saw one big gash on his left arm.

"Sacrifice Summon?" Lan Zhan said to himself, "it was true, Mo Xuanyu sacrificed his soul in exchange for Wei Ying's."

Even in a completely different body, some of Wei Ying's scars were transferred with his soul; even the Wen brand from Xuanwu's cave was on Xuanyu's body. What else could be transferred with this summoning? There were risks in doing such a sacrifice. The biggest is giving up your life for a viscous ghoul or spirit. Wei Ying was no viscous being. He was just a kind hearted man who many people misjudged.

Lan Zhan didn't need the whole story. He believed in his beloved to the end, and he still does. He trusts him too, he trusts Wei Ying with his life. He just didn't understand why Wei Ying gave up his sword for such a malicious path of using demonic cultivation. He wanted to know why. And what truth did he mean?

"What are you wanting to tell me, Wei Ying?" Lan Zhan asked in a whisper, "what truth? What secret have you been hiding?"

"Wangji, I brought some things for you from the infirmary," Lan Xichen said entering Jingshi.

"Thank you, Xiongzhang," Lan Zhan said taking the supplies and started to clean and dress Wei Ying's wound. As he dressed the wound, he noticed a large scar on Wei Ying's abdomen.

"What do you mean by that, what truth?" Lan Xichen asked after a few minutes of silence as he watched his brother tend to Wei Ying, "What is that from?"

"He said I deserve to know the truth, but he passed out before he said anything else. I don't know what this is," Lan Zhan said, "he also said that I'm the only one who has never left his side."

"Wangji, you trust him," Xichen said, "that is enough to go on. Everything that happened thirteen years ago has passed. He has to live with all of that pain. Not a single person deserves that kind of torture, to live with such guilt and regret. Yet, he is here now trying to find out who is responsible for everything happening now. I know this time, it is not him. But it is difficult to say who it is?"

"He performed empathy on Chifeng-Zun's head, that was in that hidden room," Lan Zhan told him, "why would he lie about that? How would Jin Guangyao move it so quickly?"

"Are you one-hundred percent sure he saw and performed empathy?" Xichen asked.

"Why would I lie, Xiongzhang? I am born in this sect and we were trained on our principles. One of them is never to lie. I would never lie to you and I know Wei Ying would not lie to me. I know what empathy looks like when being performed Xichen."

Lan Zhan barely ever called his brother by his name. It was always Xiongzhang as a sign of respect, but right now, Lan Zhan felt like he was being interrogated, and Wei Ying is the big bad wolf behind it all. He knows that something was wrong back than when Wei Ying died in Nightless City. He received word from Wen Ning before they were to be killed, he said he heard a second flute. Lan Zhan heard another flute that night Wei Ying died too. How else could it all have gone wrong?

"Calm down, Wangji," Xichen said, "I am just asking for clarification. I have known Jin Guangyao for a long time and I know he would not do something like this. So until I have proof in front of me, words are just hearsay."

"Spoken like a true Sect leader and politician," Lan Zhan mumbled turning back to Wei Ying, "if you are done with the interrogation, I'd like to get back to attending Wei Ying."

Lan Xichen sighed, "alright, I am sorry to have upset you."

"Don't apologize to me, apologize to Wei Ying!" Lan Zhan finally snapped, "he was framed back then, and I will not rest comfortably until I know who did it. With or without you!"

Lan Xichen has never seen Wangji act like this. He is starting to wonder just how much he really knows about Wei Wuxian and his little brother's relationship. He started wondering if everything his brother said was actually true.

Lan Xichen said nothing more, as he didn't want to upset his brother more, and left Jingshi in shock. He did not know what to say or do. How can he just think about Jin Guangyao doing all of those things? Did he do it alone if he did it all? How well did he really know Jin Guangyao? Lan Xichen walked back to his house deep in thought. He needed meditate and to clear his head.

Lan Zhan was boiling with anger. He finished attending to Wei Ying's wound, and put one of his white under shirts on him for now. He sat there with tears attempting to escape his eyes. He stared at the man he loves, pale from the blood loss, and shook his head. The tears finally fell. He will find out the truth about what happened in Nightless City. He wanted to know who was responsible for everything that happened. He believes Jin Guangyao has some part in all of this.

Why would he have Nie Mingue's head? Why would his wife, Qin Su, kill herself just like that?

He knows what Wei Ying saw in empathy. Empathy is dangerous as it is, but it never lies to you. It allows you to see memories. Wei Ying said he saw the head behind that bronze mirror.

How would anyone know that there was a hidden room there as well?

They wouldn't know unless they have seen it. He wants to know exactly what Wei Ying saw in empathy but he had to be patient and wait for him to wake up. For now, he walked over to where is zither sat on a table and sat down beside it. Instead of playing though, he just sat in lotus position and meditated until Wei Ying woke up.

//////////
Here is the first chapter of Perseverance.

I am already having ideas for this Wangxian Fan Fiction.

Since Changing Fate is coming close to its last few chapters, I thought I would start a new Wangxian.

There are so many ideas out there that it is hard to decide what to write. But this story that I am writing now, there is a lot to unfold in it.

So I hope you are happy with this first chapter. If there are errors, I apologize. As I do not have a laptop or computer, I am writing this all on my phone, 😂

Let me know what you think and more will come soon.