Chapter 39 - Why Now?

Though the two did not want to end their nice relaxing one-on-one time, they had to head back to Cloud Recesses. They both hesitated to leave but they had some things to do. The two had only entered the main courtyard of Cloud Recesses, when they were stopped by a couple juniors.

"Hanguang Jun," The Juniors greeted but slightly frantic, "they have urgent things for you to discuss, and your brother would like you to meet with him and Grandmaster Qiren to discuss it further."

"What is it?" Lan Zhan asked.

"They just want you and Wei Gongzi to meet in the Yashi as soon as you arrive back to Cloud Recesses," another junior explained.

"Thank you," Lan Zhan said with a bow and left with Wei Ying following beside him, "Shufu, Xiongzhang," he greeted them once arrived to Yashi (Elegant Room).

"Hello Lan Qiren, Xichen-Ge," Wei Ying greeted.

"Come sit," Lan Qiren said with a smile on his face.

Wei Ying and Lan Zhan nodded and sat with them at the table they were sitting by. The two poured themselves a cup of tea and listened to what they had to say.

"So, while you two were away for a little while, Xichen and I had made some, arrangements," Lan Qiren told them.

"What kind of arrangements?" Wei Ying asked.

"That a wedding ceremony for you two will be in three days," Lan Qiren answered, "we have everything prepared, and your robes are ready as well."

The two sat there for a moment without moving or blinking. They weren't expecting that at all. They thought they had a little while yet as they planned for a ceremony for a little later.

"Why so sudden?" Lan Zhan managed ask, "I mean, I am happy to accept it...but why so soon?"

"You both have been through enough and have been waiting patiently to become cultivation partners. We also want Wei Wuxian to officially be apart of our sect. Despite him not liking rules too much, he had proven himself a lot recently and I am happy to have him apart of our family here at the Gusu Lan Sect," Lan Qiren answered.

Wei Wuxian felt tears forming in his eyes. Hearing from Lan Qiren of all people, they he is to be welcomed into their family just broke him in a way he didn't expect. Wei Wuxian shook his head and placed his face within the palms of his hands. He was so overwhelmed he didn't know how to process what Lan Qiren had just said.

"Wei Ying?" Lan Zhan asked rubbing his hand up and down on his back, "what is it?"

Wei Ying sniffed as he lifted his head, "I know you all told me before, but being accepted and being considered apart of a family, it still gets to me a little," he explained, "I'm just overwhelmed and I don't know how to respond to it properly."

Lan Zhan smiled at him, "it's understandable for you to feel such a way. After being tossed around by so many people, how can you believe such words. We do not lie though. We want you to be here."

"Wangji is right, plus the juniors ask of you all the time, they want to learn more from you," Lan Xichen told him, "hearing that you are doing well with your cultivation is actually really good to know. You have been working hard, and you are determined about what you want and what you want to do. Such a great person like you, A'Xian, you deserve a better future. And we can help you with that."

Wei Wuxian nodded, "thank you, but how did you set up a ceremony so soon?"

"Xichen and I have been secretly planning it while you are busy cultivating your core. Wangji is too busy helping you that we managed to plan around him as well without him knowing," Lan Qiren told him.