chapter 6: DERISION

That day, before they went out to work, He Yun Sheng asked: "Why did you wake up so late today? We won't be able to find good spots later."

"I had things to do." He Yan answered: "It's fine if we don't get a good spot, our cakes are good enough."

He Yun Sheng was rendered speechless.

For him, talking to He Yan was like punching cotton, you couldn't express your anger even if you wanted to. He Yan wasn't easy to provoke and had a carefree attitude. He Yun Sheng couldn't tell if she was being optimistic or naïve. It had been a long time since He Yun Sheng saw He Yan feel distressed about something.

The shed was put up at the western part of the town where vendors did their various businesses. It was located in front of the biggest restaurant in Jing Cheng, Restaurant Zui Yu. There were a number of people and the vendors were making profits. However, the shed wasn't very big, therefore, they had to go early to get a good spot that could attract the attention of the passersby.

He Yun Sheng took out the Da Nai cakes from the wooden utensil.

The Da Nai cake was a popular dessert. Fresh plums without skin and seeds were used to make this cake. These white plums were first scalded and mixed with licorice soup briefly. Then, the gaps were filled with honey, walnuts, olive, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds. Lastly, the ingredients were steamed. The cake was generally sweet but also tasted a little sour. These cakes were not very expensive and were a favorite among the commoners. By selling Da Nai cakes, He Yun Sheng was able to contribute to the income of the He family.

When the summer sun shone and the weather was pleasant, people would stop to buy one or two cakes from time to time. By the sunset, they could finish selling the cakes.

Watching He Yun Sheng work, He Yan had to admit that He Yun Sheng was very capable. It reminded her of those new recruits in the army. These young men who joined the army usually were from poor families. The rich families were unwilling to let their children fight in the battlefield. The poor people joined the army only to feed themselves and their families. They had to do something to survive.

Although she hailed from a noble family, she lived that way.

"Hey, give me one... Isn't this Miss He?" A voice interrupted He Yan's train of thoughts.

He Yan looked up to see a man with a long face standing in front of her. His hair was combed neatly and sparkled in the sunlight. His facial features were ugly and repulsive. In his nondescript white robes, he looked rather sly. He raised his hand wanting to hold He Yan's shoulder, but she dodged away.

The man looked disappointed, but his expression was cheerful when he said: "It has been a while, Miss He. I was wondering why you didn't come out of your house these days. So it seems you are busy selling cakes with your brother... Isn't it tiring to do such things, Miss He?"

He talked as if he and He Yan were best friends.

He Yan was puzzled, so she looked at He Yun Sheng. He Yun Sheng was furious and snapped: "Wang Jiu Gui! Leave my sister alone!"

"You little brat, your sister doesn't mind it, what are you nagging about?!" After finishing his words, the guy called Wang Jiu Gui approached He Yan again with a smile, took something out from his sleeves, and gave it to He Yan: "Young Miss He, I've been having fond dreams about you lately. See, I bought a rouge not long ago to gift you. Since I happened to meet you here today, I'm giving it to you now. And so, do I have the pleasure to invite you for a walk by the Si Waterfront?"

He looked like a loser, but ironically acted like a handsome guy, so much that He Yan wanted to laugh. She had met many people in her past life, both good and bad, but someone who dared to mock her in public? None.