Chapter 35 - The Great Collection Hunt

[Word count - 4,238]

[Warning: Swearing for the first part of the chapter. Skip it if makes you uncomfortable.]

Evening...

Location - (L/N) Residence, Living Room

Your POV

Once I got home from work, after solving the mystery behind my missing childhood memories, the first thing I spotted was my parents in the living room. I was surprised to see them home, considering that they work long hours at the hospital. Might as well greet them, I guess.

"Hey mom. Hey dad. I'm home." I said as I removed my shoes by the front door.

"Hi there, son." My mother said.

"How was work?" My father asked.

"It went well." I said as I approached them. "I finally solved the mystery of my forgotten childhood."

They began shaking nervously, as if this is a topic they don't want to talk about.

"Is that so?" My mother asked nervously.

"What happened?" My father asked, feeling quite nervous himself.

I told them the story that Kasumi told me. Word by word. Sentence by sentence. Once I finished telling my story, my parents looked at each other like they did something wrong, and that made me feel convinced that they're hiding something.

"Mom? Dad? Is everything okay?"

My mom let out a sigh and she spoke up.

"Son, we want to tell you something important." She said. "It's something that we've been hiding from you for so long."

"You... might want to sit down for this one." My father said.

Confused, I did what my father said and sat down next to them.

"Okay, what's going on?" I asked.

"In that story, you said you almost got hit by a car, and one of the staff members saved you, right?" My mother began.

"Yeah, I did."

"Well, that car just happened to be our car." My father said, looking down at the ground in embarrassment.

I sat there in shock as I let their words sink in my head.

"You mean to tell me... that you two are the reason that I almost died as a kid?!" I exclaimed.

"There's more to it than that." My mother said.

"You see... you're not really our child." She said, trying to hold back her tears. "You showed up at our doorstep, and we only took you in because we couldn't just leave a child like that outside."

My heart began to break with the news. This whole time, I thought these two were my actual parents, but I can see that it was nothing more than a giant lie.

"At first, we liked the idea of having you around the house, but..."

"As you got older, it ended up being more trouble than its worth, so we sent you to that summer camp, hid our car away and when we saw you, we took our chances and tried to kill you, but you were lucky that that staff member came over to save you." My fake father said.

And just like that, my heart was 100% broken. If these two aren't my parents, then where are my real parents? On top of that, they tried to kill me? What the fuck for? I don't think I did anything to them to deserve their anger.

But one thing is clear, I wasn't going to handle this anymore.

"So I was never special to guys?! Then what the hell is the goddamn point of keeping me around?!" I asked while trying to hold back the tears.