Chapter 8

Y/n’s pov

Despite being in the recovery phase, I still visited Muichiro every night. I opened the door to see him sitting up on his bed, panting heavily with beads of sweat rolling down his face.

‘Oh yeah, he is no longer unconscious, i forgot.’ I recalled

“M-muichiro? What’s wrong? Is everything alright?” I slowly walked towards his bed side and sat down beside him, gently rubbing his back.

“Y/n, i need to tell you something.” He looked at me in fear.

Muichiro explained to me about how when he was unconscious, he dreamt about being in a family and he had a twin brother. However pleasant in may sound, the dream turned into horror after both his parents died and his brother was slaughtered by a demon. In his dream, he managed to kill the demon, but failed to help his brother.

“… and this dream repeats every time, every single time. I can’t sleep y/n, please help me y/n.” Muichiro shakingly rubbed his eyes. 

“I’m sorry, I don’t know how to help, I'm facing the same problem too. Instead, I see a strong demon slayer training me. Maybe I will ask Shinobu about this when I have time…” I tried to comfort him, he then replied with a nod.

We had a moment of awkward silence, until he spoke again.

“Y/n, I can’t remember anything before we came out of the lake.”

I froze. No way. “You don’t remember how we got in?

Muichiro’s pov

Y/n stared at me in disbelief, like I just insulted her or something. I shook my head, responding to her question. Y/n looked really upset, furious and disappointed, she looked quite scary. Despite looking intimidating, I gathered my courage to ask her another question.

“Y/n, what happened?”

She sighed, “we were good friends, one day we were walking on a bridge on that lake, and then i fell in.” 

I tried to recall my memory of the lake, however I can't remember any bridge across the lake. It was confusing but I decided to save the questions for later.

“I was pulled into the lake by something, it wasn’t a demon. I don’t really know what it was, I didn’t see it but I know it just wasn’t a demon.” Her hands motioned around, trying to describe the scenario.

“And then you jumped in to save me.” She turned to me and smiled gently, it made my insides feel warm and fuzzy, but it suddenly turned into a frown. “I grabbed onto you, and I was afraid to let go. So together we were dragged in. Then somehow we were pushed back up again.”

“Oh…” 

“Muichiro. The surroundings changed when we went back up to the surface, everything changed, people, buildings and then there were demons.” Her hands clenched onto the bed sheets tightly. She was shaking slightly. I got even more confused, things were different before we fell in? It doesn’t make sense to me.

“For the past seven months, I have been thinking and doing some research and I can only come to one conclusion.” She continued and I waited in silence, anticipating the answer.

We time traveled back to the past.