~ Twenty-One ~

The next day at exactly seven in the morning, when Principal Falcon Hardy arrived in front of the school gates from his house, he found Ashton was already standing there, his bag slung lazily over one shoulder

The next day at exactly seven in the morning, when Principal Falcon Hardy arrived in front of the school gates from his house, he found Ashton was already standing there, his bag slung lazily over one shoulder. He stopped his car exactly in front of the young man, and rolled down the window to the passenger's seat.

"Get inside, Mr. Sawyer."

At the command, Ashton immediately adjusted his bag and approached the car before opening the car door and getting into the passenger's seat. Once he had shut the door, the principal put his car into gear and the locks locked automatically.

"How was your sleep last night? You look tired, young man." he asked after giving Ashton a short glance and then focusing his eyes back on the road, his hands placed on the steering wheel steadily.

Ashton was, of course, taken aback by the question and he hesitated for a while but then decided to answer honestly.

"I didn't get much sleep actually… I was, um, worried."

The principal only hummed to himself, and Ashton wasn't sure of what he should interpret from that.

"As I am aware, you are probably the only boy friend that my daughter has."

"I'm sorry?" he asked, baffled by the statement and the principal noticed his misunderstanding and he chuckled a bit.

"I'm sorry for making you confused. I was saying that you are the only boy, as in male, friend that Delancey has."

Ashton felt his face flushing out of embarrassment for misunderstanding the situation but he nodded nevertheless. 

"I think so, Principal Hardy."

"My daughter has always been pretty… cautious, with boys because of something that happened a few years ago. Did she tell you about it?"

"Yes, but not the part where she's cautious."

The principal nodded. "Well, there I said it and now you know. So if my daughter trusts you, then I am trusting you to take care of her as well."

"I'm honoured you trust me, Principal Hardy."

"And you seem to worry a great deal for her as well, it seems." the older man added.

Ashton nodded again, a bit slower this time. "I am, actually… how is she?"

"She will be fine, I'm sure. But she's still not awake now although she did stir a bit last night so don't worry, Mr. Sawyer."

They finally pulled in right in front of the Hardys' house and Ashton noticed the house looked exactly the same as the last time when he had first came. He dared not to talk about it to the principal though.

"Come along, I'll show you the way before I go on with my errand." the principal said, turning off the car's engine and climbing out of the car.

Ashton followed after him silently and obediently, through the front door, up the stairs and until they reached a closed door. The principal knocked on the door and when it had been silent for a while, he twisted the door knob and stepped in. Ashton was immediately hit by the scent of sweet berries, Delancey's usual scent. He waited at the door politely, feeling like he would be crossing forbidden territory if he had gone after the principal and stepped into the room. Besides, he has, fortunately, got his manners in tact. He looked down at his shoes and only when he heard the principal called out to him did he look up.