013

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
Taking a breather.

BREAKUPS WITH SOMEONE YOU thought you were gonna spend the rest of your life with are the worst type of breakups, not just the silly two month high school ones were you're both just in it for the sex.

I'm talking about the type of relationship where you both need one another, you're each other's will to live, the key source to happiness and most importantly the irreplaceable bond you share.

Maybe that's why this breakup was so hard for Madison to get over.

She sat with her hand underneath her chin, knees to her chest, baby pink clips holding back the front pieces of her light brown locks.

Drew sat across from her, chewing on hard twizzlers as he stared at her with curiosity, "Why are you all depressed? You went a twizzler?"

"First off, I'm not depressed. Just thinkin' and second off, those twizzlers have been sitting there for more than a month." Madison replied harsher than she intended to, immediately feeling bad as his face dropped.

"Well, sorry." He mumbled, popping the last red candy into his mouth, chewing it with a slight struggle before he spoke again, "Are you like on your period or something?"

Madison's eyes went wide, her lips parting with shock, "Drew! What the hell?"

"What? I'm being serious! Do you need some Advil? Or, what's it? Midol?" Drew shot back defensively, his light brows lifted as his jaw clenched.

"No! I'm not on my period. You're so kind. Thanks?" Madison rolled her eyes, leaning back into the cushioned couch with a low sigh.

Drew crossed her arms over his chest, shooting her a look as he pursued his lips, "Alright, well, I know something's up. I suggest you spill it or else we're just gonna have to do it the hard way. You're choice."

She bit into her bottom lip with hesitation, her eyes lifting to greet his bright ones, "It's just...I don't even know. It's stupid."

"You don't have to invalidate your feelings all the time, you know? You can be honest with me. C'mon, we've best friends for more than two years now. I know you by now." Drew scooted to the edge of the couch, placing his elbows on his knees as he leaned towards.

"Thanks, Drew. I feel like I should be over Rudy by now. But sometimes I can't help it and just think of our old memories. I miss the person he used to be. We're, like, complete strangers now." Madison frowned deeply, her chin resting on her clothed knee caps.

Drew nodded with a low hum, "We all get over things differently. Rudy for one is the type of person to act like shit doesn't affect him, he acts as if your breakup means dog shit to him but deep down he knows he fucked up and he missed you. But you're aware of the way you feel towards him, you're more open and put out there while he is more reserved. He can be a dick sometimes but he's a good person and we both know that."

"I just wish things hadn't gone down the way they did. Elaine apologized to me yesterday. Is it bad that I wanted to believe her? I wanted to say I was over it and we can just be friends again but I'd be lying." The girl shook her head slowly, lowering her eyes.

"I don't agree with her actions. Of course not. You're a smart girl and I know for a fact you know what to say in these type of situations. Believing her would have to involve acting like she didn't get into a full blown relationship with your ex and be one of the main reasons he's your ex in the first place. Like I said, you're a good decision maker." Drew shrugged, drafting his arm over the backboard of the beige couch.

Madison rolled her lips into his mouth, his words seeming to bring a sense of relief to her, "Thank you, Drew. I really needed this. I don't feel so bad for not being over it."

"You should never feel bad for feeling emotions. It's called be a human, sweetheart." Drew shot her a playful wink, rubbing her shoulder before he exited the trailer.

Madison leaned back into the sofa, satisfied with herself finally, and this time she didn't feel like a dick for it.

"Hey. Just remember. Breathe." Drew popped his head into the trailer doorway, shooting her a bright smile as he shut the door.

"Always!" She yelled back as the cold metal slammed shut, she chuckled lightly at her best friend, looking towards the framed photo on her dresser.

She stood, walking towards it as she lifted it gently, the group photo they took only days into shooting the first episodes of the first season, bright smiles on each of their faces as their arms were wrapped tightly around each other.

It's normal to dwell on something that had so much potential, that ended in a way that was so terrible. It wasn't a waste. That was for sure.