Chapter 3 - Ten Rings

Reaper's POV

I hate working with organizations that aren't Hydra, they always think they can control and boss me around, even try to make me do something outside of my mission parameters. This mission is unlike any I've ever been on, they are sending me to not only save a POW who has shrapnel in his chest, but to also help build some kind of weapon. I don't usually go on this type of mission, I'm usually used as an assassin or hacker, not a doctor. But whatever Hydra wishes is my command.

Now I am in a plane with my favorite swords strapped to my back heading to my least favorite place in the world for a mission. The middle east is very hot and doesn't have a lot of safe places for me to hide and a lot of times my missions go off the deep end. Nothing ever goes as planned in the middle east, at least from the missions I can remember.

But I can't complain or do anything about it. After several hours I was dropped off at a Ten Rings base which was hidden in a mountain somewhere in Afghanistan. I was quickly led into a cave where a tall skinny man was bent over a man with his chest wide open. "Ah there is the help, I need your help getting this machine into this man's chest," the man said gesturing forward. I was a little take aback by the fact that he is speaking immpecable English but I quickly shoke off my shock.

I immediately followed my orders and helped save this strange man's life. Once that was done, all that's left to do is wait for the man to wake up. I stood silently in the corner not moving just staying guard for several hours waiting for the man to wake up. After a few hours the man woke up and immediately pulled the drip that was in his nose out. I watched silently as the man moved around knocking things over. I should probably help, I want to help. The man looks so lost, a feeling I am all to familiar with. But I was given no orders to help so I stayed frozen in my spot.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," the man I knew as Yensin warned as the other man as he was about to injure himself.

The man finally noticed the car battery attached to the machine I helped place in his chest. "What the hell did you do to me?"

"You mean what did WE do?" Yensin gestured to me and the man finally noticed my presence. "What we did is to save your life."

"We removed all the shrapnel we could, but there's a lot left, and it's headed into your atrial septum." I don't know how I understand what he's is talking about since I have no recollection of an education but I follow along easily.

"Here want to see?" Yensin pulled out a small glass vial with several pieces of shrapnel. "I have a souvenir. Take a look."

"I've seen many wounds like that in my village," I began to listen intently I never heard anything of the outside world, at least that hasn't pertained to completing my mission. "We call them the walking dead because it takes a week for the barbs to reach vital organs."

"What is this?" The man asked taking about the machine. I resisted the urge to explain, since no I know that isn't part of my mission and will lead to punishment.

"That is an electromagnet, hooked up to a car battery, and it's keeping the shrapnel from entering your heart. Hmm?"

I watched on as the man noticed the cameras in the room, "That's right. Smile."

" We met once, you know, at a technical conference in Bern." Is this man famous? I feel bad, like I should know who he is. But I don't even know myself.

"I don't remember," the man mumbled. As I studied his features I realized he looked vaguely familiar and I was beginning to get a headache.

My thoughts were pulled back to the conversation when Yensin spoke, "No you wouldn't. If I had been that drunk, I wouldn't have been able to stand, much less give a lecture on integrated circuits."