Chapter 10 - Nightmares

November 16th, 2012

Madison's POV

When I woke up from a freaking nightmare and I don't know what I was expecting, but being back in my overly squishy bed, was not it. The last thing I remember was crying my eyes out in Steve and Bucky's arms. I haven't shown any emotions like that in 67 years and it feels strange. It's strange thinking that what you thought was the right side turns out to be your worst nightmare.

For years Hydra taught me that showing emotions was weakness and if I showed even a hint of any emotion I would be brutally punished. But seeing Steve and Bucky and actually remembering who they are brought back those emotions and I need to try and shove them down again, I can't be showing weakness. They were my friends back then, but I have changed. I am not the innocent girl they remember.

I tried to go back to sleep, but I have never been able to fall asleep on my own after a nightmare. The only way I can go back to sleep is if someone is with me and for years that was The Winter Soldier. I couldn't sleep so I grabbed my blanket and slowly crept out of my room. I paused at the doorway making sure no one saw me before sneaking out. I walked down the hall towards Steve's door which was marked in gold letters on the door.

I was about to knock on his door but realized he would be sleeping and I don't want to disturb him. I decided to instead curl up on the floor, that way I could be close to him without disturbing him. I managed to fall asleep quickly, which hasn't happened in many years unless I was injured or knocked out.

I was woken up again in the morning by someone almost tripping over me. I looked up still half asleep to see Steve looking at me confused. "Madison what are you doing out here?" he whispered as he crouched next to me.

"I'm sorry this was a stupid idea," I tried to stand up but my legs have fallen asleep and I nearly fell over but I caught myself on the wall.

"Sweetheart, what are you doing out here?" Steve asked me again, I looked into his concerned eyes. I almost caved in and told him what caused me to come out here, but I can't show weakness.

"I...it's nothing. I shouldn't have disturbed you. I'm just gonna go back to my room," I replied as I turned to walk away but I was stopped by Steve's hand on my arm.

" Hey, you didn't disturb me. Now why are you really out here?" Steve whispered as he walked up to me gently placing his hand on my chin and forcing me to look at him.

"You've already saved me from Hydra, I don't want to burden you with anything else," I responded refusing to look Steve in the eye.

"Madison you are not a burden, you have never been a burden, and you will never be a burden. Now why are you out here?" Steve asked me softly. 

Somehow I know he won't let me go until I answered so I caved, "I had a nightmare," I confessed now feeling ashamed that I'm being a burden and weak.

"What was it about?" I looked up at Steve contimplating whether or not I should tell him.

"Hydra. They came back, they took you and Bucky and I couldn't save you in time," I admitted opting to stare at the ground instead of at Steve. I don't need or want to see the annoyance in his eyes for disturbing him over something so trivial. But I can't get the image of Steve lying dead at my feet out of my head and I needed to make sure no one hurt him.

"Oh sweetheart," Steve sighed and the next thing I know I am being hugged tightly. "Hydra isn't coming back. I am right here and Bucky is just down the hall snoring loudly. No one is going to hurt us."

I laid my head on Steve's chest so I could feel his heart beat, confirming he is really here with me. "I just wish Hydra would leave us alone and I could have all my memories," I mumbled into Steve's warm embrace.