Chapter 8 - Got You Back

November 5th, 2012

Steve's POV

"What do you mean, there is no trace of her?" I demanded. It's been seven months since Madison disappeared along with Hydra. Hydra has seemingly gone underground and no news has been heard from the organization.

"I'm sorry Steve, but there is no trace of her or HYDRA anywhere. We need to wait until we have more info," Tony explained sadly.

I looked at Bucky who was standing next to me and looked into his eyes hopelessly. "She's got to be out there somewhere, at some point Hydra is going to send her to retrieve me," Bucky suggested. He still doesn't remember much, he remembers me a little, he now knows Madison and the Reaper are the same person. But he doesn't remember much else, he doesn't remember what we used to be. And I know it's a little selfish wishing he would remember that, but since Madison and him are still alive maybe we can go back to how things were.

Just then all the lights went out sending us into darkness. "J.A.R.V.I.S. what's happening?" Tony called out to the AI, who runs on a backup generator so if the power goes out we don't lose him.

"It appears that Hydra has infiltrated my systems and entered the building," J.A.R.V.I.S. reported.

"Well looks like we don't have to wait to look for Madison, she's already here," Tony said looking at me.

"We need to take out all hostiles. Avengers, there are an unknown number of enemies in the building take them out. But leave Madison unharmed if possible," I called out into the comms we always wear.

I then turned to Bucky who was looking at me with hope in his eyes. "Come on Buck let's get our girl back," I whispered before grabbing my shield and running out of the room. I know Bucky is hot on my tail as I weave through the tower. "Bucky where do you think she is?" I whispered peering around the corner to make sure the coast is clear.

"I don't know, but I'm guessing she is here for us so it shouldn't be too long til we find her," Bucky whispered back as we began to walk down the hallway.

Suddenly the lights turned back on, "All but two hostiles have been taken care of," Tony called through the comms.

Just then Madison came around the corner and immediately halted in front of us. "We found Madison," I heard Bucky whisper into the comms.

"Madison do you remember us?" I asked her calmly.

She seemed conflicted, confused even, "Yes, you are Captain America and you are the Winter Soldier," she answered unsurely. "I have been sent to kill Captain America and return the Winter Soldier to Hydra."

" Yes, but you know us as Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes," I answered with a small smile.

"You are my mission," she whispered still unsure.

"No, doll. That is their mission, they are the enemy, not us," Bucky responded from a little ways behind me.

I watched as recognition flashed in Madison's eyes. She was starting to remember. She glanced at me and a small smile appeared on her face. "Steve?" She whispered, and I knew I had her back.

I was about to answer when suddenly a gun went off, I flinched thinking someone shot me. When no pain came I looked up to see Madison clutching her chest and I watched in horror as blood pooled on her chest.

" No!" I yelled throwing my shield at someone's retreating figure before running forward and catching Madison before she collapsed on the ground.

"No! Madison stay with me! Don't leave me!" I demanded as I tried to put pressure on her wound.