Chapter 6 - All For Nothing

April 27th, 2012

Steve's POV

I have been out of the ice for over a year now, and I feel as lonely as ever. Everything is so confusing, and I have to catch up on 65 years worth of things I missed. There is nothing I miss more than Bucky and Madison. Once a month, and on every holiday I visit their graves. It is strange seeing that at one point I had a stone there too which was removed. It is comforting knowing that Peggy kept her promise.

Today I was feeling especially lonely so I went down to the cemetery carrying two bouquets of flowers. The cemetery is only a short walk from my new apartment, one of the many reasons I chose the apartment was to feel close to them. I get to be with my family for a short while. Bucky, Madison, my parents, Bucky's parents, and Rebecca.

One of the first things I tried to find out when I came out of the ice was where Rebecca went. She ended up joining S.H.I.E.L.D. shortly after graduating but ended up dying on a mission five years later. She never married, never had kids meaning that my last hopeful link to the family I lost is gone.

I gently set down the bouquets and sat down in between them. "Hey guys, I missed you. Today was really hard for some reason. I visited the park where we had our first date and I came to the realization that you died 66 years ago and it feels like only a year ago. It's hard seeing the world move on when my world died in 1945. I promised I was going to see you again and here I am all alone again. I feel like I should have moved on already but I just can't knowing that my soulmates died and I am still here living. I keep holding on to all of your things, Howard and Peggy kept everything when I died or I guess not died and put it in storage. I have your flags and medals on my fireplace, next to my favorite pictures of the two of you. I should have died with you that day but I didn't and now that you are dead and gone six feet has never felt so far," I whispered. It's probably stupid to see a super soldier talking to his dead loved ones but I don't care. They were my world before I went into the ice and those feeling didn't stop when I came back.

I was so lost in my memories I didn't hear someone approach me and didn't even realize someone was behind me when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see a close friend of mine Sam Wilson standing next to me looking sympathetically. "Sorry to ruin the moment, but we got a lead on Hydra," Sam told me sadly.

"Alright, I'll be right there just let me say goodbye," I sighed standing up. I know how crazy I look, I've seen the weird looks from the other people who come to the cemetry but Sam doesn't judge, he never judges. Unlike the rest of the world I know I can always trust Sam.

"No problem, I'll be waiting in the car," Sam said walking away.

"Well duty calls my loves, I will be back soon. My birthday is next week so I figured we would celebrate together," I whispered kissing each hand and placing it on each headstone before walking away.

I hopped into the car that Sam was waiting in and we immediately took off towards Manhattan. "Hey, you alright man?" Sam asked once we were on the road.

" Yeah, I know it shouldn't but any little thing triggers me and it feels like they died yesterday. I was on a walk and passed by the park we had our first real date at."

"I'm sorry man, you never really did get the time to grieve properly," Sam sighed.

"Does it ever get easier?"

"I wish I could say yes. But truthfully no, there will always be a hole that they used to fill that nothing can come close to fixing. Over time it becomes easier to manage and you get used to it."

"I don't know if I will ever be able to get over them. They were there my whole life and just like that they were gone," I whispered. "I've tried the whole dating thing but no one compares."