Chapter 14 - Overwhelmed

Steve's POV

I was excited to go to the zoo, I haven't gone since the 1930s when the Central Park zoo first opened and the three of us went together. Madison seemed rather nervous as I noticed she had hidden a gun in her waistband. But I don't blame her, I am armed too, the last thing we need is Hydra attacking us and no one is armed. Though I hope Hydra is underground and won't bother us. Madison and Bucky are finally becoming more trusting and open to going out, an attack from Hydra would ruin everything.

"Are we going to take one of Tony's cool cars?" Madison asked as she unlooped her arms from us and gingerly grazed her fingers over the hood of Tony's new black Lambo.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, but we are most vulnerable in a car so Fury ordered us to take an armored car until Hydra is less of a threat," I felt bad, I didn't like taking the S.H.I.E.L.D. cars either but we have to.

"Come on Stevie, can't we bend the rules just a little?" Bucky begged, this surprised me since Bucky was very paranoid when we went out in public. 

I looked at their puppy eyes trying my best to ignore them but it wasn't working. "Fine, but I'm bringing my shield just in case."

I turned to head to the armory which was adjacent to the garage when I heard Madison and Bucky loudly shout, " Yay." Well, Bucky yelled, Madison said the same thing just much quieter.

I quickly grabbed my shield before finding Madison and Bucky sitting in Tony's black Lambo with Bucky in the driver's seat and Madison behind him. I quickly got in after tossing my shield next to Madison. "Alright let's go to the zoo."

The Central Park Zoo luckily wasn't too crowded, which is good since I know Madison and Bucky don't like large crowds. We spent the entire time wandering around the zoo enjoying each other's company. It was nice being able to make new memories to replace the old. We spent the entire trip without any incidents, the only negative was Madison was disappointed she didn't gain any new memories.

Eventually, we had to leave since it was getting late and we needed to be back for dinner so we all got into the car. Madison insisted on driving so I sat beside her while Bucky sat behind her. We were on the way back to the compound when I noticed a large black car was following us. Madison noticed it too because she gripped the steering wheel.

"Someone is following us," I said out loud.

"They found us," Bucky looked behind us and turned back with a grimace and I noticed he reached into his waistband and grabbed a gun.

"Ok, stay calm. J.A.R.V.I.S inform the Avengers of our location and tell them we have a Code 4." I commanded the A.I that was programmed into the car. "Ok, everything will be fi..."

Before I could finish my sentence a car t-boned the driver's side sending us smashing into a light pole. It took me a minute to clear the spots in my vision and stop the ringing in my ears. I looked over to see both Bucky and Madison unconscious with critical wounds. Realizing I was on my own I grabbed the gun in the glove box and reached back to grab my shield.

As I got out of the wrecked car Hydra agents began charging toward me and I prepared to fight them off until backup came. I was injured from the accident but I couldn't let my injuries stop me from protecting Madison and Bucky who were both unconscious in the car completely vulnerable. The moment they saw me they started firing at me forcing me to hold my shield up. Once I got my bearings I moved forward and began to attack the Hydra agents. This was going to be harder than I thought, not only did I have to fight off heavily armed Hydra agents that greatly outnumbered me with only my shield and a handgun.

But I also had to keep them away from the car because Bucky and Madison were out of commission and couldn't fight anyone at the moment. What I didn't notice was several other Hydra agents grabbed Madison and Bucky and began dragging them away. I immediately charged the men holding Bucky and knocked one out before shooting the other.