Chapter 5 - In My Arms

November 8th, 2008

The Winter Soldier's POV

I have spent the last several months constantly training, it was the only thing that kept my mind off Rea being on a mission without me. Our missions never last this long, Hydra doesn't want to risk our programming wearing off. The longest mission I remember was a month long.

That was what I was doing when a soldier came running in panic. "Soldier, you are needed immediately in the hangar," the soldier ordered for some reason using English. Hydra agents never speak English.

"What happened?" I asked. Hydra agents are trained to never show panic, yet everyone is running around panicking as I walked behind the soldier.

"The asset, the Reaper was ordered to guard and help, escaped and destroyed our base in the Afghan mountains," the soldier explained. My mind immediately went to Rea it must have taken a lot to take her down.

I was quickly boarded onto a quinjet and we immediately took off. " Soldier, your assignment is to find our missing Reaper," my commander ordered. I have never seen this man before and he seems to be American based on his accent when he spoke English. The only reason I know he is my commander is his uniform, the standard for all Hydra commanders.

I stayed silent, just like I always do on missions, even though internally I am panicking thinking about Rea. We reached our destination within a few hours and I immediately felt dread. The entire base had been destroyed in a massive explosive, somethings are still on fire. I immediately began my mission looking for Rea. I looked through rubble, checking every corpse though I hope she isn't amongst them.

I was beginning to lose hope, when I saw her. She was lying  away from all the other fallen soldiers. I immediately ran to her fully expecting her to be gone. She looked bad, she was horribly burnt, had two bullet wounds one to the stomach and another to the chest. I was relieved to see she was breathing but barely. I gingerly picked her up and made my way back to the quinjet.

"We need to leave now! The asset is dying!" I ordered. Everyone immediately began to scramble towards their jets not even concerned about the remaining survivors that lay dying. But I don't really care about the others only about Rea.

I looked down to see Rea was awake barely. "Bucky?" She whispered barely audible.

"Who the hell is Bucky?" I whispered but she already fell back into unconsciousness. The entire ride back I was simultaneously worrying about Rea, who has crashed several times and trying to figure out why the name Bucky sounded familiar. When we got back to the Siberian base, Rea was immediately taken away to the med bay and I was taken away for mission report.

"Mission report!" Pierce demanded, they must have called him in urgently when the Afghan base was destroyed, this is my first time seeing him. I have heard of him the ruthless leader of the Hydra base in America.

"Asset was critically injured upon arrival, base was completely destroyed by explosion caused by massive metal suit created by Tony Stark," I reported back.

"Something is wrong with the Reaper," Pierce mumbled and my heart dropped. "You see, she was with Stark and a man named Yinsen the entire time and did nothing to stop them. So either a critically injured man and a old man took down one of my best assets or she betrayed us."

I felt a pit grow in my stomach. Oh Rea what did you get into? I was sent back to my quarters since I had no other information. I wanted to go find Rea, make sure she is okay, but they locked me in so I've been left alone with nothing byt my own thoughts to keep me company. As I sat there I couldn't help but turn my thoughts back to the familiarity of the names Bucky and Stark. I was beginning to get a headache so I let myself fall asleep.

I was only asleep for a short while before my door was opened and I was ordered up. I quickly followed the soldier who seemed angry for some reason. I quickly realized where we were going and I knew nothing good was coming. I was lead into the room where Rea and I were constantly punished and I saw Rea in the center of the room hanging from chains on the ceiling.

I was ordered to stand silently in a corner and to not interfer. "So Reaper, care to explain why you were aiding the enemy and helping them escape," Pierce said and now I realize what happened. For some reason she helped the enemy but if she had the chance to escape, why didn't she?

"My name is Madison," she growled back. I recognize that name, and I must say it fits Rea well. But how does she know this? And why does this sound so familiar?

"No, you are the Reaper. You are the greatest assassin of all time, you have four times the amount of assassinations than the Winter Soldier. You have helped take down governments, start wars. You are the greatest, deadliest thing to ever grace Hydra. You will always be Hydra's," Pierce announced staring right at me at the last part.

"No you are wrong. I used to take down people like you. I worked alongside Captain America and Sergeant James Barnes. I won the Congressional Medal of Honor. The only reason I ever did your bidding is because you ripped out my memories and made me a mindless killing machine," Madison shouted angry. As she began talking I began to get flashes of memories.

Killing Nazis, a man with blonde hair and blue eyes, Rea or I guess Madison in a military uniform, Howling Commandos. Falling off a train. Strangling a Hydra Doctor.

I don't fight for Hydra, I used to fight Hydra. And Steve, I need to find Steve. I need to get out of here. Madison and I need to get out of her, this is wrong.

I looked at Madison and she looked right back at me. "She is right," I spoke out causing an angry Pierce to glare at me. "We used to fight and take down people like you," I growled.

"Alright I've had enough, knock them out and wipe them," Pierce commanded and I felt something cold pierce my skin and everything went black.

The next time I woke up I was strapped into the chair of my nightmares. I knew what was coming and for the first time in who knows how many years I didn't comply. I noticed Rea sitting across from me who was busily trying to get out of her metal binds. "I need to learn to be more careful with who I send on missions," Pierce, the American announced.

I tried to yank my arms out of the binding, now that I know we aren't supposed to be here. I wanted nothing more than to leave. "Wipe them," Pierce ordered and I heard the chair whir to life.

"No! You can't take our memories. Please, they are all we have left," Rea who I now know as Madison pleaded, but her pleas fell upon deaf ears as the chairs headpiece lowered onto her head.

I expected mine to do the same but my chair didn't move and I realized they were forcing me to watch. The instant the machine lowered onto her head, Madison's body went stiff from the pain followed by heart wrenching screams. I waited, and waited for them to stop the machine. It never takes this long, but they continued going, and I realized this was her real punishment for disobeying and failing her objective.

"Please stop, you're going to kill her. You've already taken her memories please stop," I begged but Pierce just grinned at me. But it wasn't a grin filled with happiness or pride but instead one of nightmares filled with pure evil.

"This is her punishment for not only failing her objective and mission, but also conspiring with an enemy of Hydra. Who knows what she told Tony Stark, who knows how hard she has made life now?" The man sneered his voice full of pure hatred.

I looked back over to Madison to see she had completely passed out but the machine still hadn't stopped. They didn't stop until Madison's body started convulsing and jerking as she started to have a seizure. I tried once again to break my bindings as she thrashed violently banging her head and limbs against the metal chair. Until the clamps holding her in released and she fell to the floor still seizing.

Suddenly her body stilled and she wasn't breathing. Realizing what he did Pierce began barking orders for a doctor. "You killed her! You killed her!" I screamed as they dragged her body away. They weren't being gentle or respectful like she deserves. The moment she was gone the brief look of panic and worry on Pierce's face disappeared and he turned to me.

"Your turn."