Chapter 17 - Waking Up

March 4th, 2013

Steve's POV

Wakanda is a beautiful country. I just wish I could appreciate it, but Madison was still in critical condition even after her surgery. Even Shuri doesn't know if she will live. She had lost so much blood I had to give her a blood transfusion. The blood loss would be enough to kill her, but that isn't even taking into account the brain damage caused by electrical currents burning parts of her brain.

Even once they repaired all her physical injuries, Madison's brain damage is extensive enough that they aren't sure she will wake up. Even after getting her back, even if she wakes up, she may never be the same again. And once again it's because I couldn't protect her.

I've stayed by her side almost the entire time, only leaving to shower and eat. Bucky is taking it harder than anyone, he thinks it's his fault, that he should have protected her. Of course, I don't think it's his fault, and I know Madison would never blame him.

I was sitting patiently alongside Bucky while Shuri went over Madison's vitals just as she did twice a day for the last three months. Shuri seemed to be taking longer than normal as she kept looking back at her tablet and back to Madison's vitals as she mumbled to herself.

"Is everything all right?" I asked, hoping something wasn't wrong.

Shuri looked up seemingly forgetting we were there, "Oh yes everything is fine. Great actually. Ms. West's vitals seem to be improving and I am detecting more brain activity."

At this Bucky perked up, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. I couldn't let my hopes rise, that just leads to disappointment. "Does this mean she is going to wake up soon?"

"Well, I can't say for sure. But if her vitals keep improving she will have no reason not to wake up," I didn't fail to notice that she didn't say she was positive she would wake up. Meaning there is still a chance Madison will never wake up.

"Thank you, Your Highness," I nodded as I mustered a smile.

"Please call me Shuri, and you are very welcome. If you need anything or something changes, don't hesitate to come find me," she said as she left the room.

Just as she left I realized I had a question but I didn't want Bucky to hear so I made up an excuse and promptly left the room. "Wait, Shuri!" I called out since she was already done the hall.

I quickly jogged over to her as she turned towards me, "Did you have a question?"

"Yes, I did actually, but I didn't want to ask it in front of Bucky," I explained, once Shuri nodded her understanding I continued, "What is the likelihood that Madison won't wake up?"

I was hoping Shuri would say that there was only a very slim chance but her sigh diminished that hope, "honestly I don't know. She has extensive brain damage that would kill a normal person. But with the serum, she has gained some brain function and her vitals have improved. But I also don't know if those numbers will improve enough for her to wake up or if they will stay the same."

"What happens if her vitals don't improve enough?"

Shuri looked at me sadly and I knew it wouldn't be good news, "then she will never wake up."

"What do we do if that happens?" I didn't want to think negatively but I needed to prepare myself for the worse.

"If that time comes we will discuss if you want to keep her on life support knowing she will never wake up or to let her pass peacefully," I didn't want to think that after all we've been through Madison would die, but it was a possibility.

"I know that's not what you want to hear, but I have to tell you the truth so you can prepare yourselves if the worst does happen," Shuri gave me a sad smile that I tried to return but it came out as more of a grimace.

Reunited - A Stucky x OC storyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें