Chapter 18 - Star Wars

Madison's POV

It's been two weeks since I had my ventilator removed and it's been ten days since we all returned home. I am stuck in a stupid wheelchair since I can't use my useless legs. Steve, Bucky, and I were peacefully enjoying our dinner when J.A.R.V.I.S. called Steve and Bucky to a meeting. They seemed to know what it was for and refused to tell me what it was, probably Hydra.

I was sitting alone in my room contemplating what to do next when I heard a knock on my door. "Hey uh...Colonel Hayes, it's me, Peter, can I come in?" I was curious as to why Spiderboy wanted to see me.

"Come in," I called out and I turned to see Peter tentatively step into my room. "Did you need something?"

"I uh...everyone else was in a meeting and I was bored so I was wondering if you wanted to watch some Star Wars with me?" Peter seemed nervous like I would say no, but I liked Spiderboy so I couldn't say no.

"I would love to," I smiled and his nervous smile was replaced by an ecstatic one.

"Yes!" he exclaimed as he pumped his fist but immediately turned red from embarrassment. "I mean I would be honored to watch Star Wars with you, Colonel Hayes."

"Please call me Madison, I am no longer in the military Peter."

"Sorry. Madison," he repeated. "I'm going to go change into some pajamas and grab us some pillows, blankets, and food," Peter told me before he ran out of my room leaving me to wonder what just happened.

I laughed to myself as I pushed myself towards the elevator. Peter reminds me a lot of Steve when he was younger, or at least what I can remember of what Steve was like when he was younger.

When Wanda gave my memories back, she only gave me the main ones, meaning I still don't remember a lot. Which always makes me feel bad, that I don't remember most of our dates, or all the time we spent together, but I do remember that I love them, and I suppose that is all that matters.

I quickly pushed back my depressing thoughts and pressed the button down to the floor the kitchen was in. Peter could only carry so much, so I grabbed all the food and drinks I could carry before going back to my room.

I heard a knock on my door a few moments later but I wasn't worried, I already knew it was. "Come in," I called out to Peter.

I held back a laugh when Peter came in carrying a whole bunch of pillows, blankets, a few snacks, and to top it off was wearing a Star Wars onesie.

"I thought I would make a fort," Peter said as he threw the pillows and blankets on the floor.

"Go ahead, though I won't be much help," I smiled. If I remember right Steve, Bucky, and I used to make forts when we were younger and stay at each other's houses. I suddenly realized I didn't remember my family, did I have a family?

I watched amused as Peter jumped into action and began making a fort of pillows and blankets. "Y'know growing up, you were a hero of mine," Peter's sudden confession caught me completely off guard.

"Why? It's not like I did anything special," I responded. I don't understand how all these people think I'm a hero.

" Nothing special?" Peter laughed, "You took down 32 Hydra agents with a knife and continued to fight after you had been shot. You became a POW because you charged into enemy fire without a second thought. You gave your life to save Captain America. And to top, it all off you were a female, bisexual, polyamorous Colonel in the U.S. army during World War 2."

" Well yes, but I did what any normal person would do. Steve crashed a plane to save New York while I became an assassin for Hydra. What I've done, the innocent people I've killed, I'm not a hero Peter, I'm a monster," I whispered.

" First off, what Mr. Rogers was heroic obviously. But you also gave your life, guess what if you hadn't saved Mr. Rogers he would've died and Hydra would've succeeded. And what you did at Hydra, that wasn't you. You had no control. And no matter what you or anyone else says you will always be my hero," Peter's speech had me on the verge of tears but I held them back.

"Wait how did you know all of that about me?" I inquired and Peter turned beet red.

"Well as I said you were a hero of mine. I kinda used to go to the Smithsonian all the time which has an entire section just about you. And I may have done a research project on you when I was in middle school." I looked at Peter shocked, why is there a museum anything featuring me?

"Alright enough talking about me, how about we watch some Star Wars?" Peter looked at me skeptically but I ignored it and moved carefully onto the floor, while Peter distributed the food and drinks between us.

I got as comfortable as I could since I could still not feel my legs so they were dead weight which made it very difficult to be comfortable. The good news is Bruce said I should start gaining feeling in my legs in a few weeks, but he said it would just be pain meaning I would have to take painkillers.

I watched intently as the first movie began to play. Peter decided it would be better to watch the movies in chronological order instead of the order they came out in meaning we are starting with the Phantom Menace.

Star Wars was so much more exciting than any movies from the 30s and 40s. We managed to watch three movies before the snacks we got weren't enough and I wanted dinner so I got an idea. Once we finished A New Hope I turned to Peter to see if he wanted to get McDonald's. "Hey, Peter do you have your license?" I questioned.

"No, but I have my permit," Peter explained though I don't know what that means.

"What do you mean a permit?"

" It just means I can't drive without an adult in the passenger seat who is over 18," Peter explained.

"Well, I think as someone who is 94, I definitely qualify to supervise you," I responded.

"Ok then, let's go," Peter said jumping up and moving to help me into my wheelchair.

We quickly made our way to the garage and picked one of the large SUVs since I didn't need another incident. We blared music as we drove listening to the playlist that Tony made me: Songs You Missed While Everyone Thought You Were Dead But Really You Became A Badass Assassin.

We quickly ordered our chicken nuggets before heading back to the compound. I was slightly disappointed and slightly worried that Steve and Bucky were still in that meeting. "Should we be worried that they are still in that meeting?" I asked as we sat on the floor of my room eating our food about to start the next Star Wars movie.

"Nah, this happens a lot. Especially when it's Hydra they have ridiculously long meetings that I'm never invited to. So I'm either stuck here alone or I go out with Happy. But now I have you," Peter said cheerfully.

We stayed up ridiculously late playing games and binge-watching the Star Wars movies before we both finally passed out on my floor exhausted from the amount of sugar we had and also the fact that it was four in the morning.