Chapter Eight

"Fuck. I'm an idiot. I'm officially the most idiotic idiot to have ever existed in this history of idiots," Kingsley muttered to himself.

Kingsley had the worst hangover that he'd ever had in years. He once again blamed his fleeting youth for it, even though he was still only twenty three. Roan woke him up in the morning with a mug of coffee, which Kingsley was very grateful for. He then drove the two to Kingsley's, and waited till the man showered and got ready for work. This meant that Roan had to wake up extra early, but he was a good friend.

It was when Kingsley was in the elevator of his office building, that he realised what he had done the previous night. Apart from drinking so much that he risked alcohol poisoning, that is.

Kingsley called him. And when he didn't pick up, he sent a voicemail.

The worst part was that Kingsley remembered exactly what he had said. He remembered each and every word, and now he couldn't help but cringe internally.  He hoped the elevator would fall and the earth would crack open and swallow him whole, but that didn't happen as he reached his floor.

Kingsley dropped his bag on his desk, before walking to the breakroom to get another coffee. If there was anything that was going to help him survive the day, it was caffeine. Kingsley was pouring himself a cup, when Lorenzo entered the room, making Kingsley freeze for a moment.

He took a deep breath in, he had a gameplan in his head. And that was deny, deny, deny.

"Morning, Reece," Lorenzo greeted as he stood next to Kingsley, grabbing his best boss ever coffee mug that was a Christmas present from Anwar.

"Morning, Mr. Salazar," Kingsley said, making sure his voice didn't give him away.

"So, last night..."

"What about it?" Kingsley was going to play dumb.

"I got a call from you. I was working so I missed it," Lorenzo recalled.

"Oh? I was out. Must've been a misdial," Kingsley said.

"Is that so?" Lorenzo raised a questioning brow. Kingsley turned to face his boss, his expression stoic as he casually shrugged in response, "so there was no particular reason why you wanted to call me at midnight?"

"Of course not, you're my boss, calling you at midnight seems like pushing professional boundaries," Kingsley replied.

"Right," Lorenzo nodded, "must've been a misdial then."

"Yep. A buttdial." Or a booty call.

"Makes sense," Lorenzo said, "I know it's Friday night but do you mind working overtime today? I got us a meeting with an investor first thing Monday."

"Of course," Kingsley replied, "I'll get back to work now."

Kingsley turned around and walked out the breakroom, exhaling a deep breath that he wasn't even aware he was holding in. He had called Lorenzo last night, and basically told him how much he wanted him.

But Lorenzo hadn't mentioned the vociemail at all. And he seemed, well, pretty normal in their interaction. Kingsley was very drunk last night, so he wondered if instead of sending the voicemail, he deleted it instead. That was a very plausible explanation, since he remembered tapping on the screen and not really paying attention to what he was doing.

Kingsley breathed in relief, his sloppiness may have just saved him from a very embarassing incident.

Kingsley wasn't in the state to do anything productive, and somehow got through the next few hours at work, till it was time for lunch. He mentally noted to thank Roan for yesterday and this morning, and also for packing him some food.