Chapter Nine

Kingsley knew he was playing with fire.

But he loved it.

After openly challenging and walking out on a stunned Lorenzo, things were tense on Monday morning. But both the men had to keep their personal matters aside for the sake of the investor meeting. It was way too important to fuck up.

Kingsley believed that the meeting went well, and so did Lorenzo for the first time. He had been sceptical after all their previous meetings, but not this time. This time Lorenzo felt confident that he'd be able to save his job. One of the associates in the firm was a friend of Lorenzo's from college, and he had texted Lorenzo once the meeting was done to assure him that the deal was going to go through.

Kingsley suggested going out for drinks to celebrate, but Lorenzo told him that he would only do that once all the papers were signed. The two of them settled on lunch, though. They were both in great moods, and all the previous sexual tension had dissipated. Mostly because watching Lorenzo so happy was extremely contagious, and Kingsley couldn't help but feel the same.

"When do you think you'll hear back from them?" Kingsley asked.

"James said we should get a call by Wednesday at the latest," Lorenzo answered, "he told me everyone at the meeting was very impressed by our business model and that even though fast tracking the investment process is a huge risk, they're willing to do that for us."

"Are you going to tell the board yet?" Kingsley questioned.

"Not until I see a contract, no," Lorenzo shook his head, "I can't relax until the whole thing is signed and done."

"And it will be. Soon," Kingsley said, "then we can get a celebratory drink."

"Drink? I'll pop champagne if I get to remain the CEO," Lorenzo replied.

"I'll hold you to your word," Kingsley smirked.

The waiter kept the bill on the table, and both the men automatically reached out for it at the same time. They glanced at each other as their hands bumped, the tension from earlier slowly making its way back.

"It's on the company dime," Lorenzo reminded.

"Oh, yeah, right," Kingsley nodded as he frowned and retreated his hand.

What is wrong with me? Kingsley thought. Why was he getting worked up over something as small as their hands grazing against one another's? He felt like he was back in middle school for a moment. He had to remind himself that he was a grown adult. Especially one that didn't care about such silly things.

The two men were uncharacteristically quiet on the drive back to the office. Kingsley knew why he was being silent, but he didn't want to assume why Lorenzo was being so as well. Once they were back in the office, they finally had to part ways.

Lorenzo kept his hand on Kingsley's lower back just for a split second, as he gave him a nod before walking to his office. Kingsley stood frozen in his spot as he replayed the tiny action over and over again in his mind. Even when he was back on his desk and was supposed to be working, he just couldn't stop his brain from racing.

Something had to be seriously wrong with Kingsley that day. He was the type that couldn't even be swayed by huge romantic gestures, so why was his heart racing as he thought about the trivial little touches when it came to Lorenzo? Kingsley reminded himself once again that Lorenzo was just his boss.

He did want to fuck him, yes, he would never deny that. But that was it. He just wanted sex. Nothing more than that. Lorenzo was just a hot man, and the whole boss-employee thing had Kingsley a bit turned on too. But that was the bottom line.