Chapter Thirty Nine

"—I don't know, we've been trying to plan something since that day but either I'm busy with work or he is. We haven't been able to find time where both of us are free. It's so frustrating but not like we can do much about it. We both have businesses that are depending on us."

"Damn," Roan said once Kingsley was done with his rant. "What about the weekend?"

"I have a photoshoot and an interview with a magazine on Saturday. And Lorenzo said something about showing his brother and his fiancè around the city," Kingsley sighed as he fixed his tie in front of the mirror. His phone was on speaker as he caught Roan and Kai up with his life.

"I'm just glad you both talked things out and are back together," Kai said. "And that you don't have to hide it or worry about losing your jobs now."

"Yeah," Kingsley paused. "Not gonna lie, the whole sneaking around thing was fun at first but in the long run... I should've known it would only lead to trouble. But then again I wasn't really thinking about us in the long run."

"All's well that ends well, my friend," Roan pitched in.

"We're still going to keep it on the down-low, though," Kingsley said as he looked at the box with all of his cufflinks, deciding which one to wear for the event. "It'll be for the best if there's a few months gap between me leaving my old job and us dating in public. Leaves no room for any scandal."

"That's smart," Roan replied, and Kingsley could imagine the blond nodding his head with a thoughtful look at the other end of the call.

"Yeah well, we need to even go out in public together for there to be a scandal in the first place. But neither of us has the time," Kingsley frowned, patting his pockets to make sure he had his wallet and keys. "At least when we were working together we got to spend time around one another."

"You'll figure it out," Kai added. "It'll take some time for both of you to find the rhythm but you will."

"Let's hope so," Kingsley muttered. "Alright, I'm ready and good to go. I'll see you guys, uh, I'll see you guys whenever I see you guys. Bye."

"Bye!" Both Roan and Kai said, before hanging up the call.

Kingsley was heading to the annual party of one of his business partners. He had absolutely no interest in going, but as the boss, he now had to maintain good relations and show his face wherever and whenever needed.

He was taking Zeke as his plus one, mainly because the twenty-six year old had been at the company much longer than Kingsley, and was very good with people. Kingsley needed Zeke beside him to keep telling him who was who and what to say or what not to say. Zeke had truly been a lifesaver since the day Kingsley started working at the new job.

After handing his car keys to the valet, Kingsley walked over to Zeke who was already waiting for him near the entry. Kingsley nodded at him wordlessly, as both the men went inside the massive hall. The place was no less than a mansion, it would've cost a fortune to plan this event and Kingsley wanted to take full advantage of the open bar. Within professional limits, of course.

Before Kingsley could get a single drink, his hand was being shaken and small talk was being made. Kingsley didn't even know half the people he spoke to that already knew who Kingsley was. So, the man just nodded politely and looked at Zeke for help whenever the conversation came to a standstill. He also thanked Zeke for getting him champagne as he exchanged business cards with various start-up founders. Networking was an important part of his job now and he wasn't a big fan of that fact.

Kingsley's social battery was running out faster as the minutes passed, and he finally managed to sneak to the open bar once the speeches began. Zeke followed behind him, and Kingsley exhaled in relief as soon as he had a glass of scotch in his hand. He gulped it down in a single go, making Zeke chuckle.