Chapter Twenty Nine

"This is... wow," Lorenzo said, he was stunned as he ate the dinner that Roan had prepared. "Like five-star restaurant level wow."

"You know," Kingsley spoke up, "every time I eat the food you cook I regret ever breaking up with you, Ro."

"Um." Kai blinked. "Are you forgetting that I'm sitting right here? Me? His husband? The love of his life?"

"Yeah, and you're welcome," Kingsley smirked. "Who knows what could've been had I not broken up with him? Maybe I'd be the one with the ring on my finger."

"Don't be an idiot and eat your dinner," Roan interrupted, making Kingsley chuckle. Kai hummed in satisfaction as he dug into his food once again. Roan moved his gaze at Lorenzo, giving him a polite smile. "Thank you."

Even though Kingsley was nervous at first, he eventually started feeling comfortable with Lorenzo around him and his friends. He was still joking around, messing with Kai, and doing what he usually did with them, and Lorenzo seemed to be enjoying by the constant grin on his face.

After dinner, Roan offered Lorenzo a drink, but the other man denied it. He had to drive back home, so he was going to remain sober, but he settled for a coffee while the others drank an experimental cocktail that Kai attempted to make.

"This tastes like crap," Kingsley stated.

"Your face tastes like crap," Kai retorted.

"Seriously? You can't do better than a middle school comeback?" Kingsley scoffed. "And when have you ever tasted my face?"

"Don't need to try it to know that it stinks," Kai huffed.

"Are they both always like this?" Lorenzo asked Roan, who sighed as he looked at the two men that were still bickering.

"Like this or worse," Roan shrugged lightly.

"At least they're entertaining," Lorenzo offered Roan a sympathetic smile.

"I feel like a mother watching her sons fight over the TV remote," Roan muttered.

"Like I said... entertaining," Lorenzo laughed.

"Perks of having an idiot husband and a stupid best friend," Roan paused, realizing that the man sitting beside him was said friend's boss. "And by that I mean my incredibly intelligent and hardworking best friend."

After another thirty minutes, Lorenzo finally stood up, announcing that it was time for him to head home. Kai protested, asking him to stay a bit longer but he politely declined. He did promise to meet them again soon, now that the ice was officially broken. Roan thanked him for the wine, and Lorenzo returned the favor by complimenting his culinary skills once more.

"Give me a ride home?" Kingsley asked. Lorenzo nodded, and the two men walked out of the apartment.

"By that do you actually want me to drop you home or take you home with me?" Lorenzo asked once they were in the elevator, heading downstairs. His voice was low, barely above a whisper so that the elderly woman in the elevator couldn't overhear them.

"I think you know what I meant," Kingsley answered, the corner of his lips raising in a sly smirk.

Once in Lorenzo's car, both the men buckled in and were on their way to his place. Kingsley had assumed he would be sleeping on Roan and Kai's couch, so he couldn't be happier about getting to spend the night with the handsome man that he called his boss instead.

"I wasn't, like, actually flirting with Roan by the way," Kingsley said. "I just do that to mess with Kai. It's fun seeing him get all flustered."

"Don't worry," Lorenzo chuckled. "I didn't think you were being serious with that."