Chapter Twenty Eight

"I swear to God if you don't take your feet off the table then I'm breaking your kneecaps with a hammer," Kai threatened.

"Wow. I'm terrified," Kingsley deadpanned as he removed his legs, keeping them down. "Is this how you talk to your students?"

"You're not my student so I can talk to you however I like," Kai replied as he folded his arms in front of his chest.

"That's not role model behavior," Kingsley spoke as he shook his head in fake disappointment. "Kill people with kindness, Kai. Not hammers."

"Can we kick him out?" Kai asked Roan, turning towards the blonde was who currently in the kitchen, making dinner. "Please?"

"Unfortunately, it's too late for that," Roan muttered without looking up as he stirred the curry in the pot.

"You both love me. I'm like the son you never had," Kingsley retorted.

"Yep. You're just like an immature six-year-old kid that's missing from our lives." Kai narrowed his eyes at the other man, who chuckled in response.

"Immature six-year-old? Nah, I act at least like I'm nine," Kingsley said.

"Nine-year-olds have many more functioning brain cells than you do."

"You're one to—" Kingsley was interrupted by his phone vibrating in his pocket. He took it out, a small smile automatically making its way on his face when he saw the contact name of the person calling him. "Hey."

"Hi," Lorenzo said. "Sorry to call you out of the blue on a Friday night but... I was wondering if you wanted to grab dinner with me?"

"That would've been nice, but uh," Kingsley looked at Kai, who was staring back at him with curiosity. "I sort of have plans already."

"Ah. Alright, then. Some other time—"

"Call him over!" Kai yelled.

Kingsley's eyes widened, and even Roan looked up from the food that he was so focused on to see what was going on in the living room. Kai was up to something by the visible mischievous smile on his face.

"What?" Kingsley blinked.

"Call him here! Tell me him to have dinner with us!" Kai repeated. Loudly. And Kingsley was sure that Lorenzo would've heard it on the other end as well.

Kingsley wasn't exactly a fan of the idea, but if he didn't at least extend the invitation after Kai's interference, then that would seem rude. Kingsley bit his tongue, glaring at Kai who was watching him back with a look that screamed 'payback.'

"Roan's making dinner. You should come over," Kingsley spoke. Roan rolled his eyes, probably at how Kingsley didn't even ask Lorenzo but stated it.

"I don't want to intrude," Lorenzo replied.

"It's no intrusion, I swear," Kingsley said.

A part of him was hoping that Lorenzo would say no once more, and then he wouldn't push for him to come again. The idea of Lorenzo having dinner with Kingsley and his best friends made him nervous. Not because he was ashamed of either of the parties, but because this felt like something... boyfriends would do.

The two of them still hadn't had a conversation about what exactly they were doing and what they were. Kingsley was trying to avoid it, and from how it seemed, Lorenzo wasn't in a rush to slap on a label on them either.

Labels scared Kingsley, so he was glad. But it wasn't just his fear of commitment that made him unsure about Lorenzo, but the fact that he didn't want to start a relationship on lies. Kingsley knew he had to come clean sooner or later, and then it would be on Lorenzo to either accept it or... not.