Chapter Forty Two

"—I really think Matt has a crush on Noelle so I'm planning on maybe teaming them up for my next assignment. Plus Matt is really good at history and Noelle might fail if she doesn't pick up her grades soon so it'll be like killing two birds with a single stone."

Kai was ranting about his students as the four men ate dessert. Roan was resting his cheek on his palm as he watched his husband attentively. Kai kept forgetting to eat from time to time as he spoke, and Roan either kept reminding him or fed him a few bites.

Lorenzo and Kingsley were more amused as they, too, listened to the excited new teacher. Kingsley couldn't help but focus on how Roan was giving Kai his undivided attention, like he always did no matter what the other man was talking about.

It had been a while since Kingsley saw his friends, so he planned to have dinner with them over at his penthouse. He figured it would also be a good time to officially introduce Lorenzo to them as his boyfriend. The man tried to cook on his own first, feeling weirdly motivated to have a homemade meal. But well... that was a disaster that thankfully did not result in him burning down his building.

He gave up and was going to order in, but Roan offered to come early and help with food. Obviously, Kingsley wasn't going to say no to that. Dinner went well, and now they were all eating the apple pie that Kai had made.

Once they were done, Roan and Kai stayed for some more time as all four of them sat in the living room and drank while talking. It was a nice, relaxed night, and Kingsley was glad to have the three people that meant the most to him under the same roof. He was also happy that they all got along well together.

Roan and Kai left around midnight, and Lorenzo stayed behind. Both of them were cleaning up in silence, and Kingsley licked his lower lip nervously as he realized how domestic their actions were.

"I really like your friends," Lorenzo said as Kingsley packed all the leftovers in Tupperware.

"Good. They like you too," Kingsley replied. He paused, before continuing, his voice hesitant. "What do you think of Roan and Kai?"

"I just said—"

"No, like, them together. What do you think of them as a couple?" Kingsley asked.

"They look great together," Lorenzo answered. "Really in love. Why do you ask?"

"I... I never admitted it but what they have is something I've always wanted too," Kingsley said softly. "I've seen them together for years and I... I always craved wanting someone to call my own even if I never said it out loud or pretended that I'm better off alone."

"You were just protecting yourself," Lorenzo said as he walked towards Kingsley, keeping a hand on his lower back. "And now you've finally let your guard down. You have no idea how proud I am of you for that."

"I'm really sorry, Enzo. I never apologized properly for lying to you and for potentially risking everything you've spent your life building. I could've ruined your life and I... I never would've forgiven myself had that happened."

Kingsley sat down on one of the dining table chairs. Lorenzo sighed, getting on his knees in front of Kingsley, holding his hand and keeping the other one on Kingsley's cheek, lightly grazing his skin as he looked at him with soft eyes.

"It wasn't your fault at all, Reece. I know I blamed you when I was angry, but I was wrong. I got involved with you fully knowing it could harm my career. It was on me, not you," Lorenzo paused. "As for the lying part... I get why you did it. The first thing I said after you told me was judge you and your abilities. So, I understand why you wanted to keep it quiet. I'm really sorry for the way I acted. If I could take it all back, I would in an instant. And I swear to never do it again."