Chapter Thirteen

question : how's 2022 going for you?

***

Kingsley walked inside the massive building after giving his car keys to the valet. He was wearing one of his more expensive suits, unlike the cheaper ones he wore at work.

His father had reached out to him a day earlier, asking him if he was still interested in having dinner with him. Kingsley wasn't, but he was a man of his word and he had promised his father he would do it if Gianni was able to help him out successfully.

Kingsley recalled what happened with him and Lorenzo on Friday after work in his office, and the memory was enough to motivate him to tolerate the next hour or two. It was worth it.

The attendant led him to the private booth where his father was already seated and waiting for him. Kingsley sat opposite of him as the server poured them a glass of wine that his father had doubt selected in advance.

"I'm glad you're here, Reece," Gianni said, "part of me wasn't expecting you to show up."

"I told you I would, so here I am," Kingsley said before taking a sip of the wine, the smooth flavor pleasing his taste buds.

"I hope your little problem was solved and that things at work are going well now?" Gianni asked.

"They are," Kingsley paused, he bit his tongue lightly before continuing, "thank you for helping me out."

"No need. Even though it's part of the Russo Group, you're the sole owner of the subsidiary I used to invest, but your name isn't in any public records. The information is confidential so nobody will find out," Gianni explained.

"I'm the owner?" Kingsley frowned, "I don't recall this."

"Did you not read the papers I sent over for you to sign on your nineteenth birthday?" Gianni asked in disbelief.

"Not really," Kingsley muttered.

"Always get a lawyer to double check whatever it is that you're signing," Gianni sighed, "even if the papers are from your father."

"Noted."

"When you told me you were majoring in computer science, I decided to start the company for you. I assumed you could lead it after graduating. I was surprised when you didn't reach out to me about it, but now I see why."

"You could've just dropped me a text yourself," Kingsley muttered as he looked over the menu.

"Fair enough. I also wanted to tell you that there's a place for you in my company—"

"I'm perfectly content in my current job," Kingsley said, "I know it might not meet your standards but... I'm happy."

"That's all I care about you, Reece," Gianni assured, "even though my position was passed to me by my father, and to him by his, if you don't wish to take over after me then I understand. I don't want to pressure you."

"Good. Because you can't," Kingsley stated.

"There will always be a place for you with me regardless," Gianni said, "I know I haven't been the ideal father but I would like to try to be one now."

"Having dinner once together in two decades isn't going to make our non existent relationship any better," Kingsley said.

"I know," Gianni sighed, "I hope you know your mother and I did what we thought was best for you."

"How is abandoning a child best for him?" Kingsley asked in disbelief, "are you really delusional enough to believe that?"

"Do you know what kind of life you would've led if you grew up with either of us?" Gianni asked, "constantly surrounded by reporters. No privacy at all. Every word and action of yours getting scrutinised by the public. That's no way for a child to grow up. It's no way for even an adult to live their life."