Chapter Eleven

A COUPLE MONTHS LATER...

"Hey." I smiled, sitting next to my mom at the table. She was eating a yogurt parfait.

"Hey, sweetie. You should eat something. It is your first day back to school after all." Mom said.

I shook my head no. My nerves were out of control. I feel like if I eat something, it'll come right back up.

"You should get dressed. You only have about half an hour." Mom said.

I went upstairs and got dressed. I decided on some skinny jeans, my grey and mint striped sweater, white converse, and an arrow necklace. I wore my hair down naturally.

...

I parked my car in the student parking lot. As I walked to the main building, I looked around. Teenagers talking, laughing, having a good time.

"Alli!" Julie exclaimed. I smiled and walked towards her. She flicked her long, blonde waves over her shoulder. She wore a floral high-low tank, some white shorts, and gold sandals.

"Haven't seen you in forever." I said, smiling.

"I know! Hey, after first period meet me at your locker. I want to see what classes we have together, if any." Julie smiled.

"Wait. Are our locker numbers the same as last year?" I asked. Julie nodded.

"Okay. Thanks. I have to go get my schedule. See you later." I waved, and walked to the front desk.

"Hello, Mrs. Adams. My name is Allison Sanchez. I was wondering if I could have my class schedule." I said, as sweetly as possible.

Mrs. Adams smiled. She has always been my favorite staff member here. "Here you go, Allison." She said, handing me my schedule.

8:00-9:30- Art
Locker Break
9:35-10:35- English (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) Literature (Tuesday and Thursday)
10:35-11:30- History
Locker Break
11:30-12:30- Math
12:30-1:00- Lunch
Locker Break
1:05-2:00- Chemistry
2:00-3:00- Free Period/Study Hall

I unlocked my phone to see what time it was. 7:30. I left the house early, so I could get my schedule, and organize my locker. I walked to my old locker. Locker #412. I found it and put all my binders in it. I color coordinated my binders, then put my sketchbook and my spare pencil pouch in my locker. I hung a mirror, a mini whiteboard, and a picture of Julie and me.

I pulled out my sketchbook. I always keep my main pencil pouch in my purse. I had 15 minutes until I had to be in art.

I went out to the courtyard, and played on my phone until then. A pair of ginormous hands covered my eyes.

"Guess who." I heard a voice I recognized as Ashton's say.

"Dad is that you?" I joked. I've gotten to the point where I can talk about my dad without breaking down, but I still get sad when I talk about him. I guess that's the thing about loss. Even if the person you love doesn't die. The pain of any type of loss doesn't go away. It just gets easier to deal with.

"I'm happy you're able to talk about your dad now. I know that was hard on you." Ashton said, sitting beside me.

"Yeah." I leaned my head on his shoulder, smiling to myself. I thought about all the memories I had with my dad.

"What's going on in that little mind of yours?" Ashton asked, kissing my forehead.

"Nothing. I'm sorry. I have to go. Gonna be late." I said, getting up.