The Girl in The Valley

A man who came to my valley

A man I hardly knew

A man who came to my garden

Grew to love me

A girl I saw in a valley

A girl I hardly knew

A girl at work in her garden

Grew to love me

From the gate

He called out so kindly

"Lass, wouldst thou 'low me

Rest here, I've ridden quite far"

"Share my tea"

She bade me so gently

Oatcakes and cream

Sweet plums in a jar

And every day to my garden

This man, who might he be?

Came bearing baskets of roses

One day in the year of 1896, a young man name Lord Archibald Craven was traveling his back to Misselthwaite Manor in Yorkshire, England from spending his day in the House of Commons. While Lord Archibald Craven is traveling back to Misselthwaite Manor. He asks his driver to stop so he can walk around, and he climbs out of his carriage near a country manor in Thwaite Village.

Lord Archibald Craven is 6th Earl of Craven and 6th Lord of Misselthwaite Manor since his father died in 1890 and he has a younger brother, Dr. David Craven.

Lord Archibald Craven was born in 1880, and Dr. David Craven was born in 1885 but Lord Archibald Craven was born when his mother, Lady Dorothy Hastings was only 18 years old, and he was born with physical impairment that his father thought that would impend his son from every marrying, but Lord Archibald Craven was not unattractive, and he was very kind -hearted but very introverted.

 David Craven was born in 1885 but Lord Archibald Craven was born when his mother, Lady Dorothy Hastings was only 18 years old, and he was born with physical impairment that his father thought that would impend his son from every marrying, but Lor...

Lord Archibald Craven was tall, handsome, with dark sandy blonde hair, blue eyes, and he was well educated and brought up in the Church of England with his father, mother, and brother.

Lord George Craven was not disappointed with either of his two sons and he has heir to his Earldom of Craven that had been in his family since King Charles II of England.

The Cravens had survived the reign of both Lord Oliver and his son, Lord Richard Cromwell and the restoration of King Charles II of England. The fist Earl of Craven purchased some property in Yorkshire, England, but in doing so Lord William Craven had to chase some Gypsies off the land and they had been living there in peace before he brought it, but before they departed from the land, they placed a curse on the land, and they told him tragedy would behold his descendants until one of his descendants returned the land.

 The fist Earl of Craven purchased some property in Yorkshire, England, but in doing so Lord William Craven had to chase some Gypsies off the land and they had been living there in peace before he brought it, but before they departed from the land...

Lord Willliam Craven was the one that had Misselthwaite Manor built in the year of 1660 and had been in the Craven family and passed onto one son to another, or a nephew, or cousin in the Craven family.

In the year of 1898, Lord Archibald Craven stopped by a quaint little Victorian Cottage and standing outside in the garden was the most beautiful young woman. and he called out " Beg your pardon, Lass. I have driven so long. I hope you don't mind if I got out of my carriage and stretched my legs." 

From the garden, the young woman calls out, " No

From the garden, the young woman calls out, " No. My Lord. Please sit down on the rock and rest. I have no Idea that you have not traveled far." and she walks over to where Lord Archibald Craven is sitting on the rock, and she offers him so sweet tea and plums in a jar.

"My name is Lord Archibald Craven, sixth Earl of Craven. I live at Misselthwaite Manor."  Lord Archibald tells her.

"Lord Craven. My name is Lilias Rose Lennox.  My father is Henry Lennox, and my mother is Margaret Campbell and I have one brother, Colonel Albert Lennox and a sister-in-law. Lady Rose, but they live in India." Lilias tells him.

"Lass. Why haven't you married?" Lord Archibald asks Lilias.

"Lord Craven. My father and mother can't provide me with a dowry." Lilias explains.

"Why! I would marry you without a dowry." Lord Archibald tells Lilias.

"My good Sir. We just met and my father and mother would expect us to court for at least two years before we even marry." Lilias explains.

"I am only 17-year-old, and my father and mother would not let me marry until I am 19 years old." Lilias explains.

Lord Archibald Craven asks Lilias to take him to her father and mother and he will ask them if he my court their daughter with the honorable intentions of marrying her.

Harry and Margaret Lennox don't know what to say but Harry Lennox tells Lord Archibald Craven, " Lord Craven. I can't provide my daughter with a dowry, so the man that marries her must marry Lilias without one." 

"Our Lilias is a good gentlewoman with good morals and a good character." Margaret tells him.

"My good Mr. Lennox. I will take good care of Lilias when we marry." Lord Archibald tells him.

With that in mind Henry and Margaret Lennox agree to allow their daughter, Lilias court Lord Archibald Craven from 1897-1899, in June of 1898 they marry.

Lord Archibald Craven travels back and forth from Misselthwaite Manor to Thwaite Village to court Lilias in the company of her father and mother and every time he comes to visits her. He brings her roses from the floral shop in a basket.

The first time that Lord Archibald Craven notices Lilias Lennox is outside tending her garden at her father's and mother's cottage in Thwaite Village.