chapter 3

The next day after class, Cassandra finally went out on the town. Lucifer had been giving her a small allowance for lunch in the cafeteria since she had no money when she arrived.

She didn't usually eat three times a day so she'd been saving the money for supplies. She definitely needed more clothes, having to do the laundry every day was getting old fast.

She bought some sleepwear, a couple of pairs of pants and shirts along with more underwear. She also bought some rose-scented shampoo and body wash.

She was very fond of red roses and rose-scented things since they reminded her of her mother. Both her mother and grandfather had tended to rose gardens on the family property.

She hurried back to the house of Lamentation. She wasn't really all that comfortable being out alone but she also didn't want to drag along Mammon who would most likely give her the slip to go on a shopping spree of his own.

When she got back to her room she put away everything she bought and started on her homework. However, she struggled to focus, her mind drifting to the voice she heard from the attic.

She got up and opened the window and saw that there was a ledge leading up to the roof. She swung her leg out of the window and cautiously tested her weight on the ledge.

"Goddammit, woman! What are you doing now?!" Kieran hissed as she stepped out fully on the ledge.

"I'm going to see if I can see into the attic from the roof." She said balancing with ease on the narrow ledge.

"Well be careful. If you fall, none of those demons are going to help you and you know it." He said looking concerned.

"Pfft, you worry too much. I used to hang out on the roof all the time back at home." She said as she pulled herself up fully on the roof.

She stood up and looked down at the surrounding town. The bright lights lit the streets as far as she could see, nothing like the forest back at home. She truly felt like she was in a different world.

She climbed higher on the roof, and a gentle breeze blew through her hair. She got on her hands and knees and looked down over the eves of the roof, hoping there was a small attic window she could peek into.

She sighed, there was only a vent and she couldn't see into it. She sat down with her back against the chimney and looked up at the stars. Even the constellations were different here.

She wasn't sure how long she was up there but eventually decided she'd been away for long enough. She went down and jumped back into her room through the window.

"What were you doing up there? You took forever! We even missed dinner!" Kieran started to complain as soon as she landed.