stand up

TW: mention of the f slur and homophobia

Brian's POV:

I knew it would take a while for me to forgive Will. To fully accept his apology and move on. And I think he knew too. He was keeping his distance. Not in the way he used to, but in a careful way. Like I was something vulnerable and he was scared of breaking me. I liked that. He didn't sneak me into the closet to make out, or send me texts at random to hook up. Instead, he took me out on study dates and walks in the park. He greeted me at school and bought me small cakes wrapped in foil. I saw what he was doing. And I appreciated it, I really did. But I still kept my own distance. And I knew he felt that too. But the fact that he didn't comment it or got frustrated warmed my heart a little.

We we're talking about a test we had, walking towards his locker. He meant the teacher was an idiot and did not know how to properly grade a test. I think he was just mad I got a 98% while he got a 95%. I was telling him about my answer to the question he got deducted points on, when a group of boys got in our way.

Will and I didn't hold hands at school, but I swear to God if we did, this would be the moment he subtly let go. His whole face fell, and I could see his body tensing up. I recognized most of the boys from either the football team or just popular people he used to eat lunch with. Great.

I would never force Will to come out. And I told him that. He shouldn't act ashamed at the fact that we knew each other, but if his friends asked I told him he could say we were just friends. As long as he didn't flirt with anyone else, I didn't mind being his secret. We didn't hold hands or hug or anything while at school. We didn't really interact that much. Mostly, we drove to small secluded places or his house when we hung out. So I really didn't expect him to say something when his friends walked up to us.

"Will, what's up man?", one of the guys said, slapping Will on the back. "It's been so long. You never hang out with us anymore", he complained. "I-uh. I've been busy preparing for college", Will awkwardly responded. I just stood there, at his side, like a kid waiting for their mom to be done talking to their friends at the mall. "C'mon, man. When did you become such a nerd", the guy continued to whine. At this point, the guys started noticing me. The whole ordeal was so awkward I was contemplating just excusing myself to go to the bathroom.

Just as I was about to subtly run away, one of the guys in the back made his way to the front, stopping me. "Hey Kimono", he chuckled. I rolled my eyes so far back I could see my brain rotting. "Can you please be at least smart with it", I begged. "You're so stupid it's not even funny." The other guys, including Will, became visibly uncomfortable. Some of them were probably on my side. Some. I hoped. If not, I was about to get my ass beaten.

The racist guy was, of course, Chad. It was always him, wasn't it? I didn't even get why he was popular. He was dumb, he played football, sure, but he wasn't very good. His looks weren't exactly appealing, as he never took care of his skin or hair. He wore the same clothes, and you could smell that. When he on top of that had such an annoying personality, it baffled me someone like him could bully me. Did I think I was an amazing charismatic cool person? No. Did I think I was better than Chad in every single possible way and form? Yes. And it was about damn time I told him so.

"It's seriously so embarrassing just listening to you talk. Who do you think you are? Are you mad cuz I'm more talented than you? Do you not get enough attention at home or something?", I mocked him. Okay, maybe I crossed a line. But Chad had crossed the line since day 1. It was time for him to shut his pie hole.

"You little...", Chad growled, gripping the hem of my shirt and twisting it. What happened next felt like I was watching it in slow motion. His hand lifted, forming a fist. His fist was coming closer and closer. I closed my eyes and waited for the hit. When nothing happened, I opened one eye to peek at the scene. Will was holding Chads fist in his hand, and by the look of it, Will was a lot stronger.

"Don't you dare touch him", Will threatened. Chad pulled back his hand. "Or what?", he smirked. He looked me up and down, then between me and Will. His face broke out in a wicked grin. "Wait, don't tell me", he laughed, looking at the other guys, making sure his audience was paying attention. "You're fucking, aren't you", he said. It was directed at Will. He leaned in closer, whispering something only Will and I heard: «How thight was he?»

«Will, no», I yelled, but it was too late. We all heard a  sickening crack as Wills fist hit Chads jaw.

A/N: sorry for the delay, I hope it's not too late. Please vote and comment if u liked it, see you Friday<3