Will's place

I arrived at Will's place exactly 10 minutes late, totally not because I was having a mental breakdown outside. I was seriously contemplating leaving, but Will caught me standing on his porch just staring out in space for 10 minutes. He gave me a weird look before opening the door. I was really walking into enemy lines here.

Will's house was gigantic. It wasn't really a house, more like a mansion. How could someone have such a nice house?!? When I walked inside, Will nodded at me then closed the door. Welp, there goes my last chance at escaping. He gestured to his house. "Well, welcome to my house, I guess. Try not to break anything." I punched his arm. "Don't worry, man. I might steal something tho." He gave me a weird look and chuckled.

We walked into his stupidly large living room and Will threw himself on the couch. I sat down and turned my body to face him, and he looked back at me. His couch was white and made of some expensive leather. The table was made of glass and had some expensive crystals. Over us hung a giant chandelier, and the floor was an intricate detailed marble.

Time to get this over with. "So, why did you invite me here?", I asked. I fiddled with my thumbs in my lap, too shy to meet his eyes. Since when had I been shy to make eye contact. I was having serious problems right now. He scoffed. "Are you dumb or something? Because of the debate team. We should make a pact." "A pact? Like what?" "We should have certain rules, so we can work together better." "Ok, since this is your idea, what kind of rules do you have in mind?"

He leaned into the couch. "For one, no bickering." "I don't bicker!" I stared at him, then dropped my gaze. "Ok, I see your point." "Rule two, prioritize this. No running late, no tardiness." I pouted. "I am five minutes, FIVE MINUTES, late one time, and you call me tardy." He shot me a look. "All I'm saying is that if you keep that attitude, you might not keep your position of president." I sneered at him. "Are you threatening me!?!", I asked, crossing my hands over my chest. I squinted my eyes at him. "Are you gonna take that too?"

Will gave me a weird look, confusion on his face. "What have I ever taken from you?" "Umm, let me think. I joined soccer in middle school, when you joined they benched me. I joined the track team, you took my high-score by 0,8 seconds. Oh, and every single class we share, you are number one and I am number two." He got a smug look on his face. I could also say that every single girl I've ever liked, liked Will, but there was no way in hell I would admit to him how handsome he was.

Will leaned closer to me and I swear my heart skipped a beat. "So what you are saying is, you are mad at me because I'm better than you? You can't blame me being better at something, I have never taken something from you. I earned it myself. Some might be natural talent and some might be hard work, but there is no way that I have a natural talent in everything while you don't have a talent at all."

I huffed and leaned even closer to him. "Oh sure, we are all just a result of genes and hard work. Not like daddy's money has any say." Will gave me an angry look. "Are you insinuating that my father pays for my good grades." I look down and see his fists are clenched. Now is probably the time to back down, which is why I kept talking. "I'm not saying your parents pay the school directly for your achievements, I'm saying you are privileged." Will knitted his brows. "How am I privileged and what does that have to do with my grades."

I tilted my head. For being such a smart guy, he was really stupid. Maybe this is why I'm better at debate than him. I actually have a clue about what's going on in society from a different perspective rather than just hearing it on the news. I am actually passionate about what I discuss. I bet Will is only doing it because it looks good on his resume. I sat up with my back straight, ready to explain.

"You being rich does make a difference, because school classes is not the only place you learn. If you struggled with something in school, you could probably ask your parents or a servant. You could even get a tutor for the subjects that are extra hard. When you have to get to school, you have a private driver to take you. You don't need to worry about if the buss is early or late. Before a test, you have a comfortable desk to study and a comfy bed to sleep in. You never have other thoughts like if there is any food in the fridge. And if it's not, will you afford to buy dinner tonight. You never have to worry about your computer shutting off and not being able to pay for a new one. You never have to worry about medical bills. You never have to worry about your school supplies running out, or wondering if you can afford the school trip. Or if you're just accepted into something for diversity. Or other people saying you only got accepted because of diversity behind your back. Or being afraid you will never get a job because your last name is Kim", I ranted.

I blushed. That was way to much. And I kinda told Will about my problems that he probably didn't want to know. I sighted and slumped down on the couch. I gestured to the living room. "I mean, guess why we are here and not at my place." Will blushed. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was like that for you. I kinda get the diversity thing, people do the same with me cuz my parents are rich. But it's worse for you. I can earn my own money, you can never change the color of your skin." He blushed again. "Not that there is anything wrong with your skin tone! It's beautiful. Not that I'm saying asian skin is beautiful, I'm not trying to sexualize asians. Not that you can't be sexy. Umm."

I giggled. "I have never seen you nervous like this. This is fun." His face went from exasperation to annoyance. "You are so annoying. You're probably the most annoying person I know", he huffed. I smiled. "Wow, I'm number one." He turned to me and the look on his face was serious. "Seriously tho, if you ever need any help with money, I would help."

My eyes widened in shock. "What?" He rubbed the back of his neck. "I might act like a jerk sometimes, but I'm not an asshole. Also, I want us to have a fair field when competing." It was my time to blush. "Um, you don't need to do that. But there is one thing you could help me with." He nodded. "Sure, what is it?" "I don't get math. Like, I can memorize the formulas and get decent grades, but I don't actually know what the fuck I'm doing." Will blinked. Then he just stared at my face. "Well, that was kinda unexpected. But sure. Let's start tomorrow."

I shot up. "Wait what?" "We have a math test in a week. I'll help you study." I nodded. "Okay, what do you want in return?" Will thought about it for a moment. "Can we say you owe me one?" I glanced at him. This was very suspicious. But he agreed to help me. He must have some kindness in him. "Okay."

I put my hand in front of him. "What are you doing", he said, giving me a weird look. "Let's shake hands. Oh, and also-" I smiled "I have the third rule. We have to always be honest with each other." Something flashed in Will's eyes, but before I could think more about it, he shook my hand. I felt his long warm fingers wrap around my shorter slender ones. My dark eyes met his, and something in my gut told me this was the start of something big.